Inheritance and benefits

Some advice please if anyone can help.
I am due to receive some inheritance, approx £25k I am in receipt of PIP and contribution based ESA - would these be affected? TIA

Comments

• Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,694
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 30 October 2023 at 4:33PM
    No. Both of these benefits are not means tested so are unaffected by any level of savings. Are you in receipt of anything else?
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,750
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I see from a previous thread that your ESA is New style ESA and not the old contributions based. See thread. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6334012/esa-contribution-based#latest this means that all of it is contributions based and it's not possible to claim any Income Related top up for this.

Both your benefits are not means tested so any savings/capital will not affect them. If you're claiming Council Tax reduction then this will end and you'll need to report the changes to your local Authority, once the money goes into your bank. 

• Hatti_e
    Hatti_e Posts: 23
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    No. Both of these benefits are not means tested so are unaffected by any level of savings. Are you in receipt of anything else?
    hi, no I am not in receipt of any other benefits
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure