No claims bonus from Ireland

Hi all. Moving back to UK from Ireland soon, and will be looking to buy a car. Last time I had insurance in this country was 2014.

Am I totally wasting my time ringing round insurers to ask for NCB discount, based on driving in Ireland? I was a lead policy holder there for one year, in 2021, and then a named driver of the same car since then.

Comments

• Don't know about Ireland to UK, but when I moved from UK to Ireland, my NCB was recognised. It may depend on the insurance company, I did mine through a local insurance broker.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,158
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi all. Moving back to UK from Ireland soon, and will be looking to buy a car. Last time I had insurance in this country was 2014.

Am I totally wasting my time ringing round insurers to ask for NCB discount, based on driving in Ireland? I was a lead policy holder there for one year, in 2021, and then a named driver of the same car since then.
    If that record has been in the UK you would have at most 1 year NCD and that may have already lapsed as they're only recognised for 2 years from date of issue depending on when the 2021 policy ended.

Many insurers automatically give introductory NCD benefits to those with a clean record but no NCD and no need to call them for it to be applied. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback