Young Driver with claims refused insurance - hard to find help but possible!

Awakeatnight
Awakeatnight Posts: 30
First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
edited 28 October 2023 at 12:45PM in Insurance & life assurance
So just thought I'd share. My son, 19, had a couple of claims shortly after learning to drive, no surprise there, but then last year he got his own insurance. But his insurer wouldn't re-insure him this year claiming their costs had gone up. He was beside himself, relying on his car for work and driving meaning the world to him.
We both spent hours on the comparison sites, I phoned insurance brokers, went on dozens of even the lesser comparison sites, and all sorts but always got back either no quotes or they were quoting more than double the price he had been paying, saying third party but not comprehensive and all sorts.
However, I have to say that eventually it twigged the advice on MSE main page, to try the insurers not the comparison sites, and Aviva came through with a quote just a few pounds more than he was paying (around £2500). :)
So my message to other parents of young drivers with their own cars....don't give up...it's hard and yes getting harder...but it can be done...hopefully!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback