Removing wall tiles from plywood.

13»

Comments

• Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Is the wall behind the boxing in plastered per the rest of the wall? If not you will need to have a plan to bring the wall to the same depth as the existing to get the level finish.
  • daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Is the wall behind the boxing in plastered per the rest of the wall? If not you will need to have a plan to bring the wall to the same depth as the existing to get the level finish.
    From what I can see so far yes though no guarantee there won’t by some surprises..
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,701 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Given the size of the boxing are you sure there isn't still a soil stack vent/AAV running up there.

• daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 2 November 2023 at 11:21PM
    *UPDATE TWO*

Brick and Patio cleaner is a poor substitute for brick acid! It has the same active ingredient but in a much lower concentration, if I soak the tiles in it for several hours I can then scrape of a layer of mortar but at the amount I'm able to remove it will take about four such soakings per tile. Lots of places have stopped selling brick acid, and the ones I found that still do are out of stock with no idea of when stocks will come in. I've ordered some online which will hopefully arrive at the start of next week.

In comparison removing the tiles and boxing went very well. I broke one of the top tiles (got lazy and didn’t fully remove the grout above). Only saved one sliver (got most off the boxing but not from the plasterboard) but I'm not sure I'll need any as the tiles on the boxing overlapped the wall tiles. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback