Direct Debit raised with no warning

Hi my Energy company suddenly raised my DD by £31 a month. I know I am in  arrears which are just over £100 pound to date, nearly 1/2 of what it was in april but that has been steadily falling since the beginning of the year due to the fact I have installed a wood burner and I am now burning free wood.so my gas usage has dropped by at least 60%  up till April and I am expecting more this year since I now have a ample supply of free fuel. also the winter fuel allowance will wipe the debt out completely..
Question are they allowed to just bump the DD up with no warning? The email stated that it was too late to change it...I did however get it put back to the original DD with a phone call and email  in which I threatened to cancel the DD and pay manually should it happen again. I was very surprised as my energy company is very highly rated..
Thanks

Comments

• frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 28 October 2023 at 6:27AM
    Hi,
    Hi my Energy company suddenly raised my DD by £31 a month. I know I am in  arrears which are just over £100 pound to date, nearly 1/2 of what it was in april but that has been steadily falling since the beginning of the year due to the fact I have installed a wood burner and I am now burning free wood.so my gas usage has dropped by at least 60%  up till April and I am expecting more this year since I now have a ample supply of free fuel. also the winter fuel allowance will wipe the debt out completely..
    Question are they allowed to just bump the DD up with no warning? The email stated that it was too late to change it...I did however get it put back to the original DD with a phone call and email  in which I threatened to cancel the DD and pay manually should it happen again. I was very surprised as my energy company is very highly rated..
    Thanks

they wouldn't know you have a wood burner so would be hoping to avoid you going into further debt over the winter.
    They should've ignored your threat (bet you really had them quaking) and let you cancel your DD because you would've been paying more by cancelling the DD as you would lose the DD discount.
  • Mobtr
    Mobtr Posts: 609
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You should have been given notice of the change. Usually it’s at least 10 days and tells you on your bill. Did you read it? If not I suggest you do 
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 11,970
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    @magicman62

The notice will have been on the first page of your last bill -  don't expect a separate email or letter. 
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,009
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 28 October 2023 at 7:42AM
    Robin9 said:
    @magicman62

The notice will have been on the first page of your last bill -  don't expect a separate email or letter. 
    A few, certainly the better energy company do send an advance notification email with proposed new monthly DD amount, where a company merely notifies within a statement/bill I read this that there should still be a formal notification informing customer of availability to see change in direct debit amount not just an email alerting customer to a new statement to view.

https://cleardirectdebit.co.uk/advance-notice-for-direct-debits/… "Each time a Direct Debit Advance Notice is provided on the online account, the Payer must be informed of its availability, in line with the agreed notification period"

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,663
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Robin9 said:
    @magicman62

A few, certainly the better energy company do send an advance notification email with proposed new monthly DD amount,
    I can't speak for the OP but Octopus email me every month to let me know what my DD will be, even if it hasn't changed.
    My email provider however sends them to junk invisibly (so I can't even get them back).
    If the OP checks their online account, they'll find a record of recent Octopus emails. If they review that record they'll see is they've missed any DD notifications.

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • rp1974
    rp1974 Posts: 723
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I know I am in  arrears which are just over £100 pound to date.
    Question are they allowed to just bump the DD up with no warning?.
    The email stated that it was too late to change it...I did however get it put back to the original DD with a phone call and email  in which I threatened to cancel the DD and pay manually should it happen again.

Don't know which energy supplier this is,it would be helpful to know which one.
    As your usage has changed you know that,they dont,also maybe keeping a closer eye on your account would be advisable given that your £100 in debt after the spring/summer,the DD payments are too low and need increasing.
    They are allowed to alter the DD,the email was the warning,presuming it was sent before the DD was taken.
    Eon Next send me emails around 14 days before changing the DD amount,although I'm in credit,not debt and their reducing the DD amount,not increasing it,so much less of an issue.

• Repeating the suggestion to check your junk emails - it can't help with what's already happened/if it's already been deleted, but if you do find an email then you can mark it 'not junk' and hopefully you won't miss any future notifications. 

Depending on who you are with, suppliers often do an account review every 6 months or so which can result in DD being changed. i.e. it might also be worth putting a marker in your diary to check your account yourself (maybe March) to check you're still on track/so you can anticipate any increase if you don't end up using the stove as much as you expect. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • I do check my account regually and I have been slowly paying the arrears off over the last year. I have not missed any E mails, and I get the regularly telling me my DD my anger was the fact that I was given 6 days notice and the fact it was to late to change it.. Being on a fixed income (pension) I have to keep track and budget, I can't exactly do overtime...lol...but sorted now 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback