Car insurance : does insurer not being able to cover my new car count as insurance declined?

Part way through the insurance year, I've just sold one car and buying its replacement on Sunday.  For some reason, Hastings Direct couldn't quote to transfer my policy to the new car and said my only option was to cancel the policy with them, get a refund of the unused months and go and buy insurance elsewhere. 

Does this count as being declined insurance when I answer the question "Have any of the drivers ever had insurance declined, cancelled or special terms imposed?" to get quotes elsewhere?

Comments

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,126
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Short answer, no.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,067
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    adw1977 said:

Part way through the insurance year, I've just sold one car and buying its replacement on Sunday.  For some reason, Hastings Direct couldn't quote to transfer my policy to the new car and said my only option was to cancel the policy with them, get a refund of the unused months and go and buy insurance elsewhere. 

Does this count as being declined insurance when I answer the question "Have any of the drivers ever had insurance declined, cancelled or special terms imposed?" to get quotes elsewhere?

No, you have effectively cancelled it because you technically/arguably had the choice to keep your old car in which case hasting would continue to insure it or cancel your existing policy and buy the new car and insure it elsewhere. 
  • Thanks for the replies.  I phoned Hastings back and they confirmed it doesn't count.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback