We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

WeShop app - anyone used?

Options
A friend has sent me a link and referral for this app and I wondered if anyone had used it? They're claiming that they've got nearly 5k in shares now just from doing their normal shopping and are using it as a savings pot. It feels too good to be true for me but it's very difficult to cut through the noise of potentially fake/fabricated reviews online to see whether it's legit or not!
£2023 in 2023 challenge - £17.79 January

Comments

• OutdoorQueen
    OutdoorQueen Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 October 2023 at 12:14PM
    Options
    I wouldn’t trust it, if it’s too good to be true it normally is.  I would avoid.    The company appear to be based in the British Virgin Islands.  As a British overseas territory, UK legislation will probably apply but trying to enforce it could be another matter.   

Your friend may have been told they have nearly £5000 in shares but if they wanted to cash in tomorrow would they be able to and what commission would be charged?  Share values change all the time, so when they come to sell them they may only find they have have a much lower amount and once commission has been taken, they may owe WeShop.  
  • Newbie_John
    Options
    As with any other cashbacks sites, the value is only yours when you cash out. So if they haven't withdrawn it - they have £0, one day it will shut down and they will have £0.

Use the same logic as with Quidco/TopCashback - it could be they have £5k because they spend £100k there.. 

Having a quick look at their website - they're looking for influencers to advertise their product promising money as part of their recomended new users cashback - typical financial pyramid  ;)

So yeah, I wouldn't bother - you can always sign up, get the bonus and quit.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A friend has sent me a link and referral for this app and I wondered if anyone had used it? They're claiming that they've got nearly 5k in shares now just from doing their normal shopping and are using it as a savings pot. It feels too good to be true for me but it's very difficult to cut through the noise of potentially fake/fabricated reviews online to see whether it's legit or not!
    I would ask your friend to try and withdraw say £1000, and see what happens.
  • kiss_me_now9
    kiss_me_now9 Posts: 1,424 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks all. I'm very firmly in the too good to be true camp and don't think we'll be taking them up on their offer! I watched a youtube video about it this afternoon which basically said the same thing. I think they say you can't withdraw for at least a year? 

Slightly worried now as my friend is planning to use the amount they have 'saved' for a big family event next year, so if it appears to be as scammy as it looks then that's not good news for them. 

£2023 in 2023 challenge - £17.79 January

• wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,465 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 27 October 2023 at 3:39PM
    Options
    Continually issuing shares based on nothing more than spending is a sure fire to make them worthless. It wasn't a scam but a British cashback website named iMutual tried it and it's gone nowhere.

5,000 shares or shares worth £5,000?
  • kmarkoff
    Options
    It is a complete scam, I have been a member since June 2022. I withdraw my shares this year as it had been 12 months and they are refusing to pay them, it was 45 days waiting period originally, then it changed to 90 days. 90 days have passed and they emailed me last week saying I needed verification, I passed this and now it’s back to waiting for 90 days. It’s a complete and utter scam and I wished I’d used other reward websites. They have now blocked withdrawals until the companies IPO in 2024 but this IPO has been pushed three times since I’ve been a member. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback