EDF debt collector for 11 yr old bill for previous tenant

I bought my house 1 year ago. 

A few weeks ago I received a bill addressed to "owner/occupier" for a billing period during 2012. Yes 2012

I called EDF and explained that I had just bought the house 1 year ago and have no idea who lived here then.  The agent said she'd noted this and would take care of it.

I've now received a debt collectors notice for the same.

My name doesn't appear on it again - just owner/occupier.

A little detail that may or may not make a difference - 11 years ago this house used to be 3 flats - A, B and C.  About 5 years ago they were converted to a single house.  My house number is 45, the bill is addressed to 45A, which obviously does not exist anymore.

So what am I supposed to do - call EDF again and spend 45 min waiting on hold and speak to another useless agent, or ignore it all together.

I'd rather not call the debt collection company as they will probably ask for my name and may try to collect it from me.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• jlfrs01
    jlfrs01 Posts: 279
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    With large bureaucratic organisations like EDF it's very difficult to find anyone who is willing to take responsibility for a mistake of their own making. Ultimately, this isn't your debt and it's their mistake/problem.

One course of action could be to send a letter to the debt collection agency excluding your details but outline what you wrote in your OP for background informing them that any future correspondence will be returned in the post to them and you consider the matter to be closed.

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,198
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    edited 27 October 2023 at 12:09PM
    Just send it back, unopened.

It's only a problem if they make an allegation that you owe the money in your name. Until then, it's just a fishing expedition and there's no reason why you should help them with that. 

If they are stupid enough to start writing to you in your name, post on the debt-free wannabe board. 
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,235
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    fatbelly said:
    Just send it back, unopened.

It's only a problem if they make an allegation that you owe the money in your name. Until then, it's just a fishing expedition and there's no reason why you should help them with that. 
    With a 10/11 year old debt, they are well out of time to take the matter to court (6 years in England/Wales, 5 in Scotland). In addition, they would have needed a name.
    If you feel the need to communicate with these people, do so in writing. Don't go wasting money on phone calls. Letters/emails provide a paper trail, so things are less likely to be denied in the future. Returning the letters unopened or just binning is probably the least stressful course of action. if they are stupid enough to issue a court claim, do not ignore those letters.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 11,957
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Don't waste your time on the phone
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 2,068
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm not sure it would be a problem knowing the OPs name. In a way it makes it clearer because there's hard evidence that he's one person who definitely can't be held liable. As opposed to threats against "the occupier" as if they think there's someone who's been in the house since 2012 and isn't giving their name.

I don't know the structure of all the boards, but "debt-free wannabe" sounds like an area for discussing debt. This isn't the OPs debt.
  • GingerTim
    GingerTim Posts: 1,913
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    'Return to sender - not known at this address'.
  • M25
    M25 Posts: 114
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Unless it's addressed to you (has your name on it) it's none of your business.

You shouldn't be contacting anyone they'll end up with all your information.

Ignore it and mark it as return to sender or bin it.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,543
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    GingerTim said:
    I see what you said there... "owner/occupier" 🤣
    Life in the slow lane
  • Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,190
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    GingerTim said:

I have added :

"property sold xx/xx/2022"

To similar. 
  • Wouldn't worry about it too much, my house used to be a shared house, and I get all sorts of bills and letters turning up for people I've never heard of, I just return everything to the senders, I've never had anybody try to take it further, just send it back.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback