Basic questions on changing banks

Not done this before so I would appreciate some guidance - apologies if it is really obvious stuff I am asking.

I have two accounts with Bank A (a personal current account and a joint current account).

If I want to change my accounts to Bank B my understanding is that all of my direct debits and active payee details will automatically switch to the new provider - correct?

In order to switch the joint account I would assume that both parties need to confirm agreement to the change, if the swap is done online how is this confirmation carried out in practice?

Thanks.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,971
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Yes, the Current Account Switching Service transfers direct debits and payees:

https://www.currentaccountswitch.co.uk/help-support/

For joint accounts, chances are that each person has the right to act on the other's behalf rather than needing both to authorise....
  • rubble2
    rubble2 Posts: 545
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    eskbanker said:
    Yes, the Current Account Switching Service transfers direct debits and payees:

https://www.currentaccountswitch.co.uk/help-support/

For joint accounts, chances are that each person has the right to act on the other's behalf rather than needing both to authorise....
    Thanks for the reply, another thought, do regular payments into the old account from pension providers etc. also automatically move over or does that need to be done manually by me?
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 25 October 2023 at 3:11PM
    They will be redirected for a while and AFAIK banks are supposed to notify the providers, but I wouldn't rely on this.

ETA: did you check the FAQ in the above link? The very first one is "What happens to payments that people send to my old account?"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback