Electric wheelchair stair climbers

Options
Hi all,

I am after any useful info or feedback from forumites on electric wheelchair stair climbers, I have spoken to a few sales people who as expected tell me their product is the best and will do everything I need and more.

Bit of background I am looking for a stair climber for my mum who is 100% wheelchair bound. She lives on the ground floor of a two story house which is on a slope. To get out of the house there is a single step out of the front door and then two external flights to street level; one of six steps and one of 21. This is a shared access way so an outdoor stair lift isn't an option.

Currently our only method of getting her down is manhandling the wheelchair which is not easy or safe for either her or the people doing the carrying. We have only achieved this twice in the last year and to be honest getting her down is a dream in comparison to getting her back up. I don't know that a stair climber would increase the amount she went out significantly, maybe to once a month but it would be good to get her out. She can't go anywhere on her own so an attended climber is fine, she will not be doing this on her own.

Firstly I would like to buy one so we can can try it out, not only to help us move Mum but also ensure she is comfortable with it too. My plan is to buy a cheap one, either very cheap new or used, that way if its not suitable or Mum doesn't like it then I can resell without taking too much of a financial hit. If it proves the right solution we can either keep it or buy a better one.

Looking at rental seems pointless, a couple of months rental I could have bought one.

So if anyone has any experiences using these devices I would love feedback, not just the good but the bad.as well. Any advice appreciated.

If anyone has one they no longer need and would like to rent/sell please contact me.

Thank you for reading and thanks in advance for any responses, I have tried not to make this an epic so feel free to ask any questions.

Nick Hampson

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Rather than buy, do these companies not have demo ones you can try at home?
    Life in the slow lane
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would trial them before you do anything and get someone to assess the steps. I have three steps to the front door which I thought would be easy to ramp but for various reasons was a nightmare. Before they managed to sort out a ramp they tried an electric stair climber.

Firstly all the steps have to be perfect. If they wobble even slightly they will need to be re set or it will be dangerous to use. It also needs to be used by someone whom is trained how to use because its a lot more complicated to use than you'd think. 

As someone who uses it. Just three steps seemed like an ordeal. Its quite jumpy. You sort of move a little and then it goes down onto the step.  It probably feels a lot like being in a manual wheelchair being bumped down steps. It was also the fact that it takes away my independence. I would only be able to leave the house if someone who knows how to use it was there to get me out the house. I mean I was pretty much housebound anyway so if it'd been the only solution then I would have to just accept it.

I mean it sounds like the only real solution but it is not an enjoyable experience at all. The person who tried it with us told us also that they aren't really designed for outside use. I mean I don't know if there are ones that are. 

Anyway I would really make sure  you try one out to make sure it is suitable and safe. Plus your mum is okay with it. Even if you just got a sales person to assess it can be used where you want and then brought used from elsewhere. 

• born_again
    Options
    Another thought on this, after reading the above post
    I take it that this is her own property or rented?
    Is there no way that finding a property on flat land that would be more suitable? Either bought or council/housing association?.

As long term this would be a far more suitable option
    Life in the slow lane
  • nickhampson
    Options
    They don't seem keen to demo which is frustrating
    Nick Hampson
  • nickhampson
    Options
    Another thought on this, after reading the above post
    I take it that this is her own property or rented?
    Is there no way that finding a property on flat land that would be more suitable? Either bought or council/housing association?.

As long term this would be a far more suitable option
    Its her own property but she refuses to move. The house has all her memories.

She would rather be captive in the home than move, she doesn't see going out as necessity  Food and clothes shopping online and care visits 5 times a day.

Nick Hampson
  • nickhampson
    Options
    mrcol1000 said:
    I would trial them before you do anything and get someone to assess the steps. I have three steps to the front door which I thought would be easy to ramp but for various reasons was a nightmare. Before they managed to sort out a ramp they tried an electric stair climber.

Firstly all the steps have to be perfect. If they wobble even slightly they will need to be re set or it will be dangerous to use. It also needs to be used by someone whom is trained how to use because its a lot more complicated to use than you'd think. 

As someone who uses it. Just three steps seemed like an ordeal. Its quite jumpy. You sort of move a little and then it goes down onto the step.  It probably feels a lot like being in a manual wheelchair being bumped down steps. It was also the fact that it takes away my independence. I would only be able to leave the house if someone who knows how to use it was there to get me out the house. I mean I was pretty much housebound anyway so if it'd been the only solution then I would have to just accept it.

I mean it sounds like the only real solution but it is not an enjoyable experience at all. The person who tried it with us told us also that they aren't really designed for outside use. I mean I don't know if there are ones that are. 

Anyway I would really make sure  you try one out to make sure it is suitable and safe. Plus your mum is okay with it. Even if you just got a sales person to assess it can be used where you want and then brought used from elsewhere. 

Thanks for your response, as someone who uses it its good to get a separate opinion.

The steps have been assessed as we wanted to make sure manually taking her down was safe, the assessor was the one who suggested the climber.

Likewise the independence isn't the issue, she cant go anywhere on her own even if we left her to the bottom of the stairs. There is a garden down which a ramp can be built alongside the 21 steps however we have been advised the incline would not only be dangerous but almost impossible to navigate.

Like I say we want to try it. Selfishly its more for us to take her out than her desire to go.
    Nick Hampson
  • born_again
    Options
    All I will say is steep inclines & wheelchairs do not mix.. Especially going down. 

What is the gradient for a wheelchair ramp in the UK?
    1:12
    The British Standard for wheelchair ramps

Though it's not a legal requirement, it's best practice. The Standard aligns with the Building Regulations and recommends: that ramps have a maximum gradient of 1:12; the provision of handrails on both sides of the ramp for gradients steeper than 1:20
    Life in the slow lane
  • Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 926 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    They don't seem keen to demo which is frustrating
    Ouch,
    To me that just says that they are not confident that their product is suitabe (or they KNOW that it ISN'T suitable) but will try to sell you one anyway.

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Could a zigzagging path be installed on the front garden, though it sounds as though too many layers would be needed for such a slope ? Neighbours of ours have a zigzag ramp but a tiny slope on a short garden, but their son can safely wheel on this, as it also as safety rails.

Have you seen the videos made by an American couple, where the wife tries all kinds of aids ?

Do you refer to a separate wheelchair that climbs or a climber that takes a chair ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback