New Windows in Tenement Flat

Options
akira181
akira181 Posts: 505 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
edited 24 October 2023 at 4:54PM in Is this quote fair?
I'm looking to get some very old windows replaced and I'm wondering what I should be looking out for. I stay in the Southside of Glasgow and saw a 2 vans in the area replacing windows, so I called them for quotes. One is just shy of 7k, the other just shy of 10k. 9 windows on the 3rd floor and approximately 1m x 2.3m each in size.
The first guy said he "doesn't do the hard sell" and proceeded to talk my ear off for an hour on how double tilt and turns would be best for me, he only uses VEKA, which are the best, he does a lot of work in the area, and so on. Also sent me the quote on messenger, email, called (couldn't answer, I was at work) and put it through my door yesterday morning. Don't know if he's just very organised or desperate for work. He doesn't have many reviews but is active on posting work he's done in the area. No idea if it's actually recent work or just rinse and repeat though.
Second guy seemed overly casual, he kept asking if there was anything about the process I wanted to know, like he was wanting me to question him. Then came the salesman patter of Rehau are the best frames, he'll pair it with the best glazing, he uses them in his own house, he'll give me windows with a U-value of 1.0 for the price of the standard 1.4, told me to check the reviews of his company, 200+ 5* reviews, which? trader trusted, etc. He also asked if anyone else had been to quote and I told him straight up yes, and was cheaper. He asked what company and then proceeded to badmouth the owner by name, saying he folded his first company and started the current one to get out of warranty claims, complaints of racism and shoddy work, VEKA are office windows, not residential, even if I don't get windows with him (the second guy), don't go with that guy, etc. Apart from the quote being more than 40% higher than the first, that also put me off a little.
After some searching, neither are FENSA registered.
The first guy has BSI Approved Contractor, Constructionline, and VEKA Approved installer on his paperwork but I cannot find any record with the certifying bodies.
The second guy is a which trusted trader but I don't believe holds any sort of value.
What sort of price should I be looking for and are any of these Competent Person Schemes actually worth their weight?

Comments

• oldernonethewiser
    Options
    I have seen this company recommended on another Glasgow forum.

No experience of them myself.

Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• akira181
    Options
    Thanks, I'll take a look.

Also found a fensta approved and a veka authorised installer. Gonna get quotes from them too and see what they say. Both of them are older companies with good reviews so hopefully they'll be trustworthy
  • akira181
    Options
    I have seen this company recommended on another Glasgow forum.

No experience of them myself.

I called them today and basically the guy told me that scaffolding is a must, if someone gets hurt I share the responsibility of the actions of my contractor (don't know how this can be true considering the average joe isn't versed in the legalities of building regs), so scaffolding is unavoidable, and so on. I asked about fall protection and a suitable anchor point, he said it's possible but the contractor must be trained, so scaffolding is a must (not that he doesn't have suitably trained contractors).
    He then went on to try and sell me secondary glazing that I didn't ask for and claimed it to be 4 times better than double glazing, I'd make my money back on energy savings, it adds to the house value cause it shows energy efficiency, etc.
    Reeks of utter BS.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure