Claiming for whiplash - missing details

I was involved in a 3 vehicle accident whilst on a coach trip early this summer - our coach went into the back of a car which stopped suddenly on an A road, and then a lorry went into the back of us. I got whiplash as a result (I'm not sure how severe it would be classed - I was referred to A&E by a walk-in a couple of days later and was taking Naproxen for a few weeks for the pain as well as being off work a couple of days) which I think I'm entitled to claim for. 

I've reported all this to the coach company, but they are very unresponsive and I haven't heard back from them since August; they have asked for medical details but haven't said which, or responded to my request for a contact to send them to. It has been 4 months since the accident.

I know I can claim through the Official Injury Claim portal, but here is where my dilemma lies - I have the registration details of the vehicle I was on, but not the 2 of the other vehicles involved which I need for the claim, and I'm unsure who would actually be at fault in this scenario. Is there a way of obtaining this information (through the police etc), or should I simply wait to see what the coach company does? 
Make £2024 in 2024 total £152.47/£2024

Make £2023 in 2023 total £2246.22/£2023

2023 comp wins: £1.60 TCB, collagen + make up bundle, £15 book token, signed book, outdoor cinema tickets + £200 spending money, candle bundle

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,505
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 24 October 2023 at 1:47PM
    I was involved in a 3 vehicle accident whilst on a coach trip early this summer - our coach went into the back of a car which stopped suddenly on an A road, and then a lorry went into the back of us. I got whiplash as a result (I'm not sure how severe it would be classed - I was referred to A&E by a walk-in a couple of days later and was taking Naproxen for a few weeks for the pain as well as being off work a couple of days) which I think I'm entitled to claim for. 

I've reported all this to the coach company, but they are very unresponsive and I haven't heard back from them since August; they have asked for medical details but haven't said which, or responded to my request for a contact to send them to. It has been 4 months since the accident.

I know I can claim through the Official Injury Claim portal, but here is where my dilemma lies - I have the registration details of the vehicle I was on, but not the 2 of the other vehicles involved which I need for the claim, and I'm unsure who would actually be at fault in this scenario. Is there a way of obtaining this information (through the police etc), or should I simply wait to see what the coach company does? 
     I would not have even bothered contacting the coach company. Why would they engage with you genuinely when you want to claim off their insurance. 

Find a solicitor who will get their fees when they win your claim. 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,182
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Do you have legal expenses insurance on your Home insurance or have it as part of being a union? If so they will provide representation.

Not sure how keen no fee, no win lawyers are on taking on claims for just whiplash since the Whiplash Reforms given they can no longer get any money from the other side and still capped at 30% of your winnings. 
  • Do you have legal expenses insurance on your Home insurance or have it as part of being a union? If so they will provide representation.

Not sure how keen no fee, no win lawyers are on taking on claims for just whiplash since the Whiplash Reforms given they can no longer get any money from the other side and still capped at 30% of your winnings. 
    I'm afraid I don't have either, and don't drive myself so I'm not the most au fait with how this all works. I contacted the tour company originally as that was what we were told to do by them (we booked through the tour company, who in turn hired the coach and were claiming from the coach operator's insurance themselves and would add passengers to this)

I've never needed to contact a lawyer for anything before, but I assumed no win no fee wouldn't be worthwhile doing given the OIC portal exists? I would also still have the issue of getting the missing details I'm guessing?

2023 comp wins: £1.60 TCB, collagen + make up bundle, £15 book token, signed book, outdoor cinema tickets + £200 spending money, candle bundle
  • DullGreyGuy
    Forumite
    The whole point of the whiplash reforms, and so the OIC, was to remove the need for lawyers but that doesn't mean they are useless and don't potentially improve the outcome. Plenty do small track claims without any issues and plenty make basic mistakes. 

Do you have the insurance/claims handling details for the coach company? Have you spoken to them to see if they accept liability? If they don't then you effectively ask why not and they most likely will say because of the vehicle hitting the coach in the rear and provide its details. 
  • I don't have the handling details at all - all I've been given is the standard email address to contact them on and emails stating they were waiting for forms from their insurance company (though I don't know who this is). I have sent emails chasing this but had no response from either the tour operator or coach company for weeks now, and wondering whether to request details from the police who attended the accident myself now. 

• DullGreyGuy
    Forumite
    I don't have the handling details at all - all I've been given is the standard email address to contact them on and emails stating they were waiting for forms from their insurance company (though I don't know who this is). I have sent emails chasing this but had no response from either the tour operator or coach company for weeks now, and wondering whether to request details from the police who attended the accident myself now. 
    If you don't want to wait you can get their insurance details from from the MID for a modest fee https://www.mib.org.uk/check-insurance-details/check-a-vehicle-not-at-the-roadside-after-an-accident/ 
  • I don't have the handling details at all - all I've been given is the standard email address to contact them on and emails stating they were waiting for forms from their insurance company (though I don't know who this is). I have sent emails chasing this but had no response from either the tour operator or coach company for weeks now, and wondering whether to request details from the police who attended the accident myself now. 
    If you don't want to wait you can get their insurance details from from the MID for a modest fee https://www.mib.org.uk/check-insurance-details/check-a-vehicle-not-at-the-roadside-after-an-accident/ 
    I'd need the other vehicles' details for this unfortunately, which I don't have.

• DullGreyGuy
    Forumite
    That's how you get the coach insurers details
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business