Nissan Qashqai brake light

Hi
Just after a bit of advice, just been to Halfords the shop to get brake light changed. They said they couldn't change it because its LED. There is condensation in the light which they pointed out.  They said the whole unit needs replacing and they couldn't do even at their garage as it can only be done by the Dealership, and likely to cost a few hundred. Is this right for a light? Got two weeks till MOT expires. Thanks 

Comments

  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,372
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    More or less correct but it doesn't have to be done by a dealership. The light unit will likely need replacing so you will need to find either a pattern part or a second hand one from somewhere. Swapping it over is pretty straight forward, any garage or diyer should be able to do it.
  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 1,431
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    First off, have you checked every other light on the car?

    Sometimes the rear clusters can stop working if there is a blub out somewhere, like a front side light.
  • stekell
    stekell Posts: 12
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Goudy said:
    First off, have you checked every other light on the car?

    Sometimes the rear clusters can stop working if there is a blub out somewhere, like a front side light.
    The headlight had gone, but this wasn't LED and Halfords had a bulb for this. Otherwise all the lights look ok. 
  • facade
    facade Posts: 6,907
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 23 October 2023 at 11:03AM
    Welcome to the 21st century, when cheap simple easy to change parts are replaced by expensive modules that are somehow "better".

    Yes they are right, the lights immediately fill up with water, and this damages the circuit board so the LEDs stop working. (Sunderland built Nissans leak like sieves, I don't know what they do wrong, but JDM cars are much better)

    The whole unit has to be replaced, unless you fancy repairing them yourself, but the circuit board isn't available on its own, so you would be working at component level.

    Nissan will want an arm and a leg, and possibly a kidney to do it. (They wanted £14 for a foam gasket round the brake light on my woeful Note)

    They are easy to fit yourself, if you can get one in time, is this it?


    Euro car parts sell some types too.


    When the LED units blow up they tend to take out the 10A tail light fuse, so this may need changing after the new ones are in.


    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • stekell
    stekell Posts: 12
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    facade said:
    Welcome to the 21st century, when cheap simple easy to change parts are replaced by expensive modules that are somehow "better".

    Yes they are right, the lights immediately fill up with water, and this damages the circuit board so the LEDs stop working. (Sunderland built Nissans leak like sieves, I don't know what they do wrong, but JDM cars are much better)

    The whole unit has to be replaced, unless you fancy repairing them yourself, but the circuit board isn't available on its own, so you would be working at component level.

    Nissan will want an arm and a leg, and possibly a kidney to do it. (They wanted £14 for a foam gasket round the brake light on my woeful Note)

    They are easy to fit yourself, if you can get one in time, is this it?


    Euro car parts sell some types too.


    When the LED units blow up they tend to take out the 10A tail light fuse, so this may need changing after the new ones are in.


    Thank you, just found one on Euro parts, click and collect and they are only up the road so will get that and see if the garage doing the MOT will fit it, if not I will attempt it myself. Just looked at youtube clips doesn't look difficult.
  • stekell
    stekell Posts: 12
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    stekell said:
    facade said:
    Welcome to the 21st century, when cheap simple easy to change parts are replaced by expensive modules that are somehow "better".

    Yes they are right, the lights immediately fill up with water, and this damages the circuit board so the LEDs stop working. (Sunderland built Nissans leak like sieves, I don't know what they do wrong, but JDM cars are much better)

    The whole unit has to be replaced, unless you fancy repairing them yourself, but the circuit board isn't available on its own, so you would be working at component level.

    Nissan will want an arm and a leg, and possibly a kidney to do it. (They wanted £14 for a foam gasket round the brake light on my woeful Note)

    They are easy to fit yourself, if you can get one in time, is this it?


    Euro car parts sell some types too.


    When the LED units blow up they tend to take out the 10A tail light fuse, so this may need changing after the new ones are in.


    Thank you, just found one on Euro parts, click and collect and they are only up the road so will get that and see if the garage doing the MOT will fit it, if not I will attempt it myself. Just looked at youtube clips doesn't look difficult.
    Are the 10A fuses all the same regardless of car, will these do? 10A Standard Car Auto Blade Fuse 10 Amp ATO - Pack of 10 : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive


  • facade
    facade Posts: 6,907
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 23 October 2023 at 2:16PM
    stekell said:
    Are the 10A fuses all the same regardless of car, will these do? 10A Standard Car Auto Blade Fuse 10 Amp ATO - Pack of 10 : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

    after what I said about 21st Century "progress"? What do you think? :D:D:D:D:D

    There are at least half a dozen different types in common use, and they won't interchange.

    Most likely Renault Nissan used micro blade fuses like these https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/pearl-blade-fuses-micro-2-10amp-x2-559772016 

    I think the ones you chose are standard blade fuses. They definitely won't fit.

    If the other side lights are working the fuse is probably OK, - but Renault do have a habit of fusing each side separately.

    Depends on whether you have a J11 or a J10 Qashquai

    https://fuse-box.info/nissan/nissan-qashqai-rogue-sport-2014-2022-fuses  (I can only see fuses for LH tail lights......)


    Notice it says the J11 has a 5A fuse for just the LH side, but the J10 has a 10A fuse for both.

    I'd have a look in your driver's handbook, it ought to tell you which fuses do what and the values.






    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards