Charter Bond Maturity?

metrobus
metrobus Posts: 1,784
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
edited 22 October 2023 at 9:20AM in Savings & investments
I have a fixed rate bond maturing in 2 weeks with Charter.
They emailed me yesterday to say that I can choose what to do with the funds, through “maturity options” when I log in.
When I do this it gives me about 5 different accounts to choose from , one of which is an old easy access issue 38 it does not give the current issue which is a higher rate, a bit sneaky of them I think.
My question is do Charter allow internal transfers between accounts held with them or do I need to withdraw funds to my nominated account and then fund my other account with them from that?
Thank you.

Comments

• newatc
    newatc Posts: 829
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You should open the new bond with higher rate. Probably give it a day then the new bond will become an option in your maturity selection.
  • jaypers
    jaypers Posts: 653
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Yes, you can do internal transfers between accounts. 
  • metrobus
    Forumite
    edited 23 October 2023 at 1:26AM
    Jaypers,that’s good to know.

What I have noticed now is the minimum balance for issue 43 to get the higher rate is £5K but it’s only £1K for issue 38, if you drop below them interest is only 0.1%.
  • jaypers
    jaypers Posts: 653
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 23 October 2023 at 8:10AM
    Just took a look and see that issue 38 is paying 4.28% which is low, although probably a little higher than the maturing fixed. Your best bet is to just select that for maturity day and then move out as you see fit. If you open the latest issue, it’s 5.07% and you can transfer between the 2 accounts immediately anyway. Yes, the minimum balance may be an issue depending on funding. From what I can see, Issue 38 is also £5000 minimum balance, not £1000 to get the advertised rate.

• metrobus
    Forumite
    edited 23 October 2023 at 10:16AM
    That’s strange since it gives me an option of an Easy  access saver issue 38 at 4.89 / 5.00 and in the information about product page it states interest of £50 if £1000 is invested for 1 year.
    It also offers products like 18 month and 2 year fixed rate bonds which I don’t see on their normal “products” page.
    Its 5.81/5.97 for the 2 year fix which I think I’ll take

Ive just realused there are 2 separate accounts an Easy access account and an Easy access Saver account with different interest rates and minimum balance requirements .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback