Ebay want me to register for VAT

Hi all
Looking for some VAT advice
I have been selling autographs  on ebay, it started buy selling my  own  50 year collection individually, then once i sold what i wanted to i decided to keep the sales going by buying new collections etc and  selling them
I was careful as i thought not to exceed the vat threshold of 85000 but thought that was in my Financial year!  (Which would have kept me under.) Not just any 12 month period
Ebay have now informed me that it i have gone over and have to register before i can sell anymore. If i cant sell i am left with expensive stock and cant afford this.
My questions are
1. should i register for one year to satisfy ebay then deregister to make sure all future sales are below 85000

Could i just agree to pay the vat owed  ( over the threshold)
And ask not to register?
 If ebay understand this.

Although i have been selling since lockdown , it has only been my personal  collection which i am told is vat exempt
It is only the last tax year 2022/23 that i have resold bought items

It is all the more annoying as my customers on ebay will be put off paying vat  and also the items i have bought at auctions have not charged me vat ( only on their commission not on the hammer price) so i cannot claim back vat on purchases

Any help will be appreciated
Thanks

Comments

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family