🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Best performing pension in the uk right now?

Options
Hi, my pension is not performing at all well and I am paying more in fees than I am earning. What would be the best way to check whether I should move my pension? Can anybody tell me which pension companies are performing well in the uk at the moment? Is it possible to withdraw your whole pension pot and move it into a high interest savings account?

Comments

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 October 2023 at 10:11AM
    Options
    TRACYNUTT said:
    Hi, my pension is not performing at all well and I am paying more in fees than I am earning. What would be the best way to check whether I should move my pension? Can anybody tell me which pension companies are performing well in the uk at the moment? Is it possible to withdraw your whole pension pot and move it into a high interest savings account?
    Pensions themselves don't perform as such, it's the investments within them that count. 

Although the provider fees can have an impact.

What are you invested in??
  • wjr4
    wjr4 Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    What are the fees?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and should not be seen as financial advice.
  • gm0
    gm0 Posts: 880 Forumite
    Options
    It is not possible (below pension access age when you take income to do with as you choose) to extract pension money and put it in savings accounts

Neither would it be a good idea.  Gains in a pension product wrapper are non-taxable along the journey. 
    Tax is due on income later.  Tax relief on contributions.  No tax on investment returns.

Gains in a savings account are taxable. IHT also favours the pension by excluding it.

People regularly develop the impulse in difficult times to retreat from a product they don't fully understand to a simpler one that they think that they do.  Which is a natural enough reaction.  We are all wired for short term loss aversion.

But that being so - does *not* mean that the idea is in their best interests.   It is not.

• JohnWinder
    JohnWinder Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    Options
    Pensions themselves don't perform as such, it's the investments within them that count. 
    Interested to know how the original question ought to have been phrased, just ‘the pension’ bit….
  • SVaz
    SVaz Posts: 266 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 21 October 2023 at 12:07PM
    Options
    It’s akin to saying ‘my car is performing badly’ , without any pertinent information it’s meaningless.
    The most basic info would be ;
    Age. 
    Employed / self employed/ neither. 
    What type of pension, who with and whether an employer contributes.  
    What the pension is invested in.

The very first step for the OP is to understand what pensions / funds within actually mean. 

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,604 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Interested to know how the original question ought to have been phrased, just ‘the pension’ bit….
    But the point is that the entire premise of the post should be discussed, rather than zooming in on one specific element - OP seemed to be under the impression that because fees have exceeded investment growth over an undefined period, the answer is to move to another pension company or even outside that wrapper into savings.  That's far too simplistic (and potentially impractical or undesirable) so further detail is needed in order to offer any meaningful guidance....
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I would hazard a guess that the "best performing pension in the UK" is the State Pension.
    Low contributions, few explicit charges, and triple-locked once in payment.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What are the best performing investments in the UK right now that can be held in a pension
  • JohnWinder
    JohnWinder Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    Options
    Q1:
    1. Consider how suitable the investments in your current pension are, for your circumstances. That’s a confounding task for a beginner, bread and butter for an advisor, and easy enough for an informed amateur. Are you interested in putting in some work to become an informed amateur if you’re not already?
    2. If they’re suitable, are they sufficiently now cost? If they’re not suitable, find a pension provider that offers suitable investments at a sensibly lowest cost, or suggest your advisors does that.
    3. Scan quickly to be comfortable that fraud is not taking money from you, rather than just bad luck, wrong asset choice or excessive costs.
    4. If you’re moving, consider consequent costs like exit fees, taxes atc.

Q2:  While different pension companies probably offer many different individual investment funds, many of which would and wouldn’t suit an individual, it’s probably more relevant to focus on which investments are most suitable for your financial situation (age, assets, future needs, risk tolerance etc). A large determinant of how much you finish up with depends on the mix of assets you choose, also very important is how much you contribute, how early you start and for how long, as well as keeping costs low.

Q3. Probably, but it might not be theoretically the better choice, but in practice might be so. 

• Bostonerimus1
    Options
    TRACYNUTT said:
    Your question contains a basic misconception. A pension is not an investment, it is a wrapper that contains investments. That wrapper confers things like tax deferral and withdrawal rules onto the money and investments inside. You have to understand the underlying investments to assess performance, but not over times like one or two years, your perspective needs to be decades.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure