blocked downpipes, flooded crawl-space

Options
Hi,
I Recently had a new roof fitted. Roof seems fine but the roofer has blocked at least gutter two downpipes. Water running down walls. I  emailed him yesterday and asked him to come and sort this issue (he fits/fixes guttering as well anyway) but have had no response. I have managed to dig out some rubble myself but can't clear it. 
I have just discovered 6" of flood water in the crawl space. We do have a flood warning in place here and the rain is constant but as far as we know this has never flooded before. Could the blocked downpipes be the cause of the flooding? Have I any redress against the roofer?
Meanwhile, I am on my way to Tool station for a dirty water pump. 
Any advice welocme.
Thanks

Comments

• mexican_dave
    mexican_dave Posts: 274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When you say crawl space, do you mean under the ground floor space? If so what is the covering on the floor of the crawl spaceare, a simple concrete screed or earth? Thinking if you have had a lot of rainwater your water-table could be high, so it's not the gutters, but if the water-table is low and you have a concrete screed then the space could be filling from water penetration from the gutters and it's not draining away quickly (concrete stopping it). Or it could be filling with water from a third cause, burst pipe. Too early to say, but YES get the gutters working properly then think about the crawl space another day.
    If you have a ladder and inclined to tackle this, unscrew the brackets securing the downpipes and have them down, shake the rubble out and replace. If you are not so inclined either get a local handyman to do it or chase the roofer, but roofer might deny any involvement in blocking your gutter. Me, I would want to sort the downpipes out quickly!
  • sjones12121994
    Options
    Blocked downpipes can contribute to flooding issues by preventing proper water drainage. It's crucial to take immediate action, such as using a dirty water pump to mitigate the flooding temporarily. Continue trying to contact the roofer and emphasize the urgency of the situation. Document the damage with photographs and keep records of communications. If the roofer doesn't respond, consider exploring legal options and preventive measures to protect your property from potential future flooding. In some cases, it is also better to seek for professional advice like at Will's plumbing. They can check the situation out for you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback