Royal Mail Small Claims Court (Won)

Cameron1590_2
Cameron1590_2 Posts: 183
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 25 October 2023 at 2:01PM in Consumer rights
Hello,

I will try and keep this short. I sold two ceramic items on eBay and posted to the buyer via RM tracked 24. 

Buyer sent me a photo showing the items arrived smashed (seriously smashed, it was in tiny pieces). 

Lodged a claim with RM along with photos, packaging photos, transaction information from eBay. 

Royal Mail refuse the claim on grounds that the packaging was insufficient. (Item was double boxed, wrapped all the way round in bubble wrap and placed in a bubble wrapped Jiffy bag). 

I issued claim via money claims online. 

The 14 days for defence or acknowledgment expires on Monday 23 October and I intend to file a default judgement. (Assuming they don’t reply or acknowledge service by then). 

I have just noticed that the address for service is potentially incorrect, which is probably why Royal Mail haven’t responded. 

The address I gave for service is “100 Victoria Embankment, London” and it looks like Royal Mail moved from this address four or five years ago, based on some digging I did last night as I was surprised they’d not acknowledged or filed a defence. 

Why did I use this address? Because the email response refusing my claim that was sent by RM stated it was Royal Mails Registered Address!

What are the chances of Royal Mail getting the default judgement set aside if they provided the wrong registered address on their own correspondence?

I would like to think it was slim but I’ve never done this before. 

Thanks,

Cam

Comments

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family