How to sort eBay buy-it-now items by real price?

QQQ
QQQ Posts: 375
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
So tired of eBay price spammers!
I need to buy a new item, let's say a phone case. There are no auctions, only buy-it-now listing, each with variable prices from 0.99 to 9.99. When I click into any of the listings, there is a menu to choose the model and then the price becomes ten times higher. OK, which item sells for 0.99? A SIM card adaptor!
Is there any simple way to see the best deal on this market infested with price spammers?

Hey, eBay owners, you are OK with that situation, are you?

Comments

• savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,035
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I keep reporting listings for search and browse manipulation but it seems that ebay keep changing the categories for reporting listing.
  • se2020
    se2020 Posts: 371
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I can't believe anybody can sell and post something for 99p and not make a loss.

Maybe just keep buying 99p items until they stop listing them...
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,832
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    se2020 said:
    I can't believe anybody can sell and post something for 99p and not make a loss.

It is usually something like a colour chart or such like that can be sent as a letter using business rates - so at worst they lose a few pence, but probably break even.They don't even have to have anything at 99p because they can sell one and let that option go out of stock- but it will still show up as from 99p/

I too had issues with buying a case for my kindle- ended up changing my search to search only  from £3 upwards and that knocked out all the 99p and £1.99 things that were bundled in with the kindle cases.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin said:
    se2020 said:

It is usually something like a colour chart or such like that can be sent as a letter using business rates - so at worst they lose a few pence, but probably break even.They don't even have to have anything at 99p because they can sell one and let that option go out of stock- but it will still show up as from 99p/

I too had issues with buying a case for my kindle- ended up changing my search to search only  from £3 upwards and that knocked out all the 99p and £1.99 things that were bundled in with the kindle cases.
    Ooh that's a clever workaround!  Brilliant, I shall be using that from now on :smiley:
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,476
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    A pet hate of mine. I now ignore any listing with multiple prices.  99.9% of the time they are listing something not
    linked to the actual item I want, they do it to get to be the cheapest.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback