Child benefit and transferring credit to grandparent

Options
Hi there 👋 
So I understand that grandparents can have national insurance credits transferred to them if they look after a grandchild. My mum will be looking after my little one 2 days a week next year when I return to work so we are looking at applying for this. However my question is, does this mean I will no longer receive child benefit (the £24 a week) as I am transferring it to her? Or is it just the NI credit that is transferred? 
Thanks for any help!

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    It’s only the NI Credit which would be transferred and not the Child Benefit. You would also need to be paying NI yourself otherwise you would still need the credit. 
  • sawyer17
    Options
    jem16 said:
    It’s only the NI Credit which would be transferred and not the Child Benefit. You would also need to be paying NI yourself otherwise you would still need the credit. 
    Thank you that's great! Yes I will be paying NI myself when I return to work.
  • SVaz
    SVaz Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    You can only apply in the October AFTER the year you want to claim for. 
    My Wife claims for looking after our Grandson, she will be claiming soon for April 22-23. 
    So your Mum will claim in October 2025 if she starts after April next year. 
    You can’t do it online either,  you have to print off the forms and post them 🙄
  • sawyer17
    Options
    SVaz said:
    My Wife claims for looking after our Grandson, she will be claiming soon for April 22-23. 
    Ooh right thank you I didn't realise that. So if she starts in February next year will she need to claim in October 2024 for those couple of months before new tax year?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    She doesn't have to claim year by year, she could claim several years in one go later on.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    sawyer17 said:
    SVaz said:
    Ooh right thank you I didn't realise that. So if she starts in February next year will she need to claim in October 2024 for those couple of months before new tax year?
    You can start the process anytime after the end of the tax year, it just will not be processed until October when the different departments report to each other.
  • SVaz
    SVaz Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    It actually says on the Hmrc site NOT to claim until after the following October. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback