TREE WITH TPO GETTING IN THE WAY OF PLANNING AN EXTENSION

Hi Folks

I am planning at extension downstairs in my home to build a bedroom and shower room for my elderly father, who is increasingly finding it difficult to go upstairs to his bedroom.

It is very possible that a tree (which is in the neighbour’s garden) with a TPO may be getting in the way.  The tree is quite large and overhangs in our garden.   Our neighbour also wants to get rid of the tree and did apply to do so, but his application was rejected by the local council because the tree has a TPO on it.

Do you think it is worth my while also applying to the council to get rid of the tree to build my extension, or do you think it may not be worth it because my neighbour’s application was rejected. 

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Comments

• Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,738
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    How long ago did he apply? Since then the tree may, eg, have started to rot inside which may change the Council's view.

Do you actually need it removed or would just pruning it allow the build?

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,748
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    With the approval of the council you or your neighbour should be able to prune it.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,251
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    How far away from the foundations of the proposed extension is this tree ?
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,245
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    If the tree is large and close to the existing properties it may be possible to argue for its removal to avoid damage to the existing houses.
  • Chickereeeee
    Chickereeeee Posts: 1,168
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Depending on your layout, you may need a soakaway for gutter drainage. If digging for this would affect the tree's roots, it will not be allowed. 
  • 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 950
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 19 October 2023 at 9:34PM
    TELLIT01 said:
    If the tree is large and close to the existing properties it may be possible to argue for its removal to avoid damage to the existing houses.
     When you take out house insurance one of the questions asked is about trees  height  10M and distance from house will the extension possibly cause a issue.

• GrubbyGirl_2
    GrubbyGirl_2 Posts: 668
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 20 October 2023 at 6:39AM
    Is it worth getting some advice as to whether you can use the equality act to help as your father is disabled and needs this extension to continue living in his home (also article 8 of the human rights act).  Also would it be possible to agree to plant another tree in a different location to replace the one that needs to be removed?
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,468
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Removing a large, mature tree is not without risk to nearby properties, ground heave needs to be considered.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback