Declaring survey income

Hi,

I have started to do online surveys. Can anyone give me some advice on declaring the income please. I am not making a massive amount of money or a regular monthly amount at the moment, but just doing them from time to time to earn a little towards birthday & Christmas etc.

If I'm right from what I have read, I don't need to declare for tax purposes as the amount isn't over the threshold, however we receive some Universal Credit and I'm not sure how I am supposed to declare with them. Do I need to register as self employed and declare the income to UC monthly? and other than them adding this to our total monthly income to work out the deductions will it effect our claim in any other way?

Thanks

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,771
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 October 2023 at 8:28AM
    If this is cash in hand work, rather than self employment, then send a journal message explaining and advising amounts paid, date received. They will set you a to-do action to report your earnings from employers. And then this additional earned amount can be used to calculate UC awards.

For self-employment according to HMRC website, you need to register with them, if you earn or expect to earn £1000 or more in a tax year, by the 5th of October in the second tax year you are earning from self-employment. You can call HMRC to check if this type of earned work would be considered self-employment. 
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback