Old boiler broke down - tips for getting a new one?

2»

Comments

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    andre_xs said:
    Thanks to all comments so far, so we'll look for a local company with good reputation. Luckily the boiler is working again now, so we seem to have a bit more time and don't need to pay an 'emergency fee' or something like this.

The comment with minimum heat output is valuable as well, thanks a lot.

We currently have 24 kW and we're fine with cold and hot water supply, pressure is good. But of course we could aim for the 'upper end' of the common 24 - 27 kW range. But we surely don't need a class higher (like 35kW or so).

That sounds very reasonable.
    Since you have good mains pressure, then no harm in going slightly larger - say, towards the 27kW - to have a better hot water flow rate for when you need it.
    What type of shower do you have? Do you have baths?
    And what went wrong with your current boiler - what were the symptoms?

• andre_xs
    andre_xs Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    We have one bathroom with a bath (and shower in the bath). Hot water for bath and shower comes from the combi-boiler (no power shower).

Indeed we haven't serviced it, shame on us. Was a combination of forgetting about it and the thought of "will be replaced soon anyway". We'll do better with a new one :smile:

The old one had the error "FL", flame didn't ignite. Currently it works again. It used to have the error occasionally in the past, pressing reset used to help, but this time it took like half a day and 20 resets to get it going again.

Regarding BOXT: I've had a quick look at the reviews on Google. I guess it's a bit of a hit-and-miss what local installer you get, there are quite a few disappointed people as well.

• Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,608 Forumite
    edited 19 October 2023 at 1:31PM
    andre_xs said:

Regarding BOXT: I've had a quick look at the reviews on Google. I guess it's a bit of a hit-and-miss what local installer you get, there are quite a few disappointed people as well.

One satisfied customer here, if booking a instal you can check the installers reviews and change date if you want to read another installers reviews.
    My experience was
    BG £3150 for W/B 4000
    Viessmann approved installer £2800 for 050W 25kw
    Local installar £2300 for W/B 2000 30kw
    Boxt £1895 (£50 discount if going via EDF webpage) for W/B 2000 30 kw
    The price was in August so I think summer discount applied and two year interest free was attractive
    The instal went well was kept well informed about eta of stores and installers, everything left tidy and treated house with respect.

My advice would be get quote from BG, that will give you idea of what is required and any quirks with your present setup, then go from there.

Edit: Now pay £7.99 pm for annual service which they will organise.
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,812 Forumite
    edited 19 October 2023 at 2:10PM
    andre_xs said:
    We have one bathroom with a bath (and shower in the bath). Hot water for bath and shower comes from the combi-boiler (no power shower).

Indeed we haven't serviced it, shame on us. Was a combination of forgetting about it and the thought of "will be replaced soon anyway". We'll do better with a new one :smile:

The old one had the error "FL", flame didn't ignite. Currently it works again. It used to have the error occasionally in the past, pressing reset used to help, but this time it took like half a day and 20 resets to get it going again.

I'd personally be erring towards a slightly large boiler, especially since your shower is from it, but you are clearly happy with your current 24kW, so that's entirely your call.
    Annual services will be a must with your new boiler, if only to maintain the provided warranty. I don't blame you for neglecting it with your current one, as there's nothing to suggest that it would have prevented the current issue. When I had my, then, newish glowworm serviced, the gw guy who came out told me he had the exact same boiler, but didn't even service his own every year...
    Unless you have a warranty to maintain, then I would suggest that a 2 or 3 year interval should be fine, and the money saved will be better put to use for future repairs. But that's a very personal opinion, and I am sensitive to things starting to go awry with my baby.
    Anyhoo, get quotes! Include locals and Boxt, and any other obvious options.
    For each, you'll want to know;
    1) Make and model of boiler.
    2) Warranty that will be provided (10 years is not unusual)
    3) What controls they will provide. Are you interested in a Smart room thermostat that you can control via your phone or PC?
    4) What level of system clean will they provide - a full 'powerflush' or a 'chemical clean'?
    5) Any other things of interest. Eg, if you do go 'Smart', would a smart radiator valve interest you? Eg, do you like the idea of your bedroom radiator coming on at 20oC at 8pm, going down to 15o at 11pm for overnight, back up to 20o at 6 in the morning, and down to 14oC at 8 am for during the day?!
    6) Anything else anyone can think of!

And then compare them all, with our help as required. :-)
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    As this is a moneysaving forum, why don't you get it serviced and get another few years out of it?
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    ThisIsWeird said: 6) Anything else anyone can think of!
    Bigger radiators - If the old system uses single panel Type 10, consider replacing them with Type 11 or even Type 21 radiators. This will enable you to run at lower flow temperatures which improves the efficiency of the boiler. Depending on how much bigger the radiators are, it also puts you in a better position when heat pumps are the only viable replacement option - With that in mind, it would be worth looking at the pipework. Low temperature heating systems need larger bore pipes (typically 22/28mm for feed & return, 15mm to radiators). If you have microbore plumbing, a heat pump may not be suitable when the day comes.
    But if you are replumbing a heating system, it turns a sub £2K swap in to an £8K (or more) refit unless you can do the bulk of the work yourself.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • andre_xs
    andre_xs Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Thanks for the comments.
    The boiler was acting up more and more, I don't know, it just feels as if it's time is come and we should replace. We have kids and don't want to be left without heating/hot water for days/weeks during busy winter season (or pay a hefty emergency fee).

For now, we'll really just change the boiler, not change all the radiators. Yes, some are a bit old, but we are in a mid-terraced house with cavity wall insulation and new windows, so in general it keeps the warmth quite well and heats up very quickly.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback