Winter sports insurance from a Canadian broker?

Initially I was a bit skeptical about this, but after an absolute nightmare with UK firms and wintersports cover 2 years ago (in which I had to extend a UK policy with insurance that included 'park' insurance that wasn't valid if I left the ground, and a "moguls clause"), I was left talking to a Canadian broker (trusted by a relative out there) and it was just nice to be able to talk about the policy with someone who knew about what they were insuring.

My only worry is, do I leave myself vulnerable by purchasing something like this as a foreigner? I assume I'd have far fewer rights if something did go wrong?




  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,158
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    First of all, has the broker confirmed they can sell to you as someone resident in the UK? Most Canadian brokers are not going to have the licenses required to sell into the UK but they may be willing to do so anyway.

    Assuming they believe they can sell it to you without authorisation from the UK authorities then you'd have no protection from the FSCS or FOS should something go wrong. You would need to check what schemes exist in Canada and if they cover non-Canadian residents or not when the policy is bought from overseas.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards