What am i entitled to recieve

Options
Ok so here we go i currently recieve uc and limited capability for work due to mental health issues but in 2021 i had to undergo a big operation which resulted in me ending up with a tempory (at the time) stoma i never tried to or believed i was entitled to anything for this as being on uc and also having thyroid issues i do not pay for my medical supplies however in januarey of this year i again went under the knife to have the colostomy reversed this surgery was somewhat sucessfull as far as the colostomy being changed to an illiostomy with the vue to then some months down the line reconnecting my bowels unfortunatley i ended up with fistuals from my bowel to my bladder causing me to leak and pass urine from my back passage after this surgery so have lived with an indwelling catheter since januarey i attended hospitol to have the fistula repaired last week and the surgery was very hard work 7 hours invloving colo rectal and urology surgeons who advised me they had dealt with the issue but i was now left with a smaller bladder due to them having found another fistula during the op they did however manage to get rid of the illiostomy and return that to the colostomy and advised this was now permanant i have been for a scan today which now shows another fistula attached from my bladder to the rectal stump remaining. I am still in the early stages of my recovery and have been advised while it might take time the issue can be resolved but what if any benifits am i entitled to A in the mean time and B afterwords if the sirgeons are able to remove the fisula 

I know its a very long and complicated post any questions i am happy to answer 

Thank you 

Comments

• frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,
    have a look HERE, might help.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Whether you are entitled to any additional benefits will depend on whether the surgery has changed your capability for work, and whether it will change your need for help with your mobility or looking after yourself. 

Do you claim Personal Independence Payments (PIP)? If not, have a read of this: Personal Independence Payment (PIP): What PIP is for - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) 

There is a requirement to claim PIP that you must have needed help with mobility or looking after yourself for 3 months and expect to continue to need help for at least another 9 months. Check all the other elibility criteria and read up on how PIP is assessed before applying. This might help: Check how to fill in your claim form - Citizens Advice  

If you think the operation has changed your capability for work, you can ask to be re-assessed, but there is a theoretical possiblity that if they reassess you, they might find you completely fit to work! So I would only ask for reassessment if you are very sure that your condition means that you will never be able to work again.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You mention UC and LCW. Can I please just check of this is Limited Capability for work or Limited Capability for work related activity?  (LCWRA)

If its LCW then you can look at the descriptors for LCWRA to see if you think any of them apply to you. Here https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/limited-capability-for-work-related-activity#:~:text=LCWRA%20descriptors,reasonably%2C%20be%20worn%20or%20used.&text=(ii)%20repeatedly%20mobilise%2050%20metres,of%20significant%20discomfort%20or%20exhaustion.

If you think they do then you can report a change of circumstances and the report a worsening of health condition. You will need to provide a fit note for this and continue to provide them until a decision is made on your new work capability assessment. You will be referred and then sent another UC50 form to fill in and return. 

Another assessment is most likely because most people have them. Once a decision is made it could either stay the same, be found to have LCWRA or fit for work.

Other than PIP (assuming you don’t live in Scotland) there’s no other benefits. If living in Scotland then it will be Adult Disability Payment instead.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback