Awarded £800 ...

I was awarded £800 circa 2013 and never saw a penny of it. I was paying off debts around that time and my award was swallowed up somehow - I never did understand why.

I remember discussing this soon after with a lawyer, who said that what I received was paltry, and that not should have been given.

I took this to mean I was stiffed, and am hopeful this law suit will discover what went awry all those years ago.

Thank you MSE for another - possible - bite of the cherry 🙏

Comments

• It sounds like it was off set against the debt you owed the lender. 

All very normal and no stiffage involved.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,604
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I was awarded £800 circa 2013 and never saw a penny of it. I was paying off debts around that time and my award was swallowed up somehow - I never did understand why.

if you were in arrears, defaults or had amounts written off as part of a repayment plan or settlement, then the money can go against those.

I remember discussing this soon after with a lawyer, who said that what I received was paltry, and that not should have been given.
    If you never saw a penny of it then that would be non-existent rather than paltry.     However, you would expect a solicitor to know a bit more about the subject before making comment.

I took this to mean I was stiffed, and am hopeful this law suit will discover what went awry all those years ago.
    No it won't.  The right of set off is not an issue with the theoretical court case.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,226
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you’d been given a larger amount, then that would  have been offset against your debts anyway. So either way you wouldn’t have seen any of it?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Vectis
    Vectis Posts: 654
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hardly 'stiffed'.

You owed money to people and the £800 went towards paying off your debts.
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,073
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    And it was 10 years ago? Why ask now? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business