Leaving Virgin early due to change of address thats not covered. I have no proof of new address.help

Hello.
I moved in with my grandmother earlier this year to help take care of her (August). She didn't have Virgin or Sky so I signed up for it myself.

However, she has now decided she wants to move house to be closer with her family in Somerset. Within two weeks she has listed and sold her house and purchased another one.

She still wishes for me to live with her etc but The address she is moving to sadly does not have Virgin Coverage. I have seen online there is an early cancellation fee unless you're moving to a property that Virgin does not cover. If this is the case you need to show a utility bill, mortgage letter or council tax letter to prove you have moved. As I am not the owner of the house my name is NOT on any of the utility bills or council tax letter.

I have called them earlier today (When i found out the new address) and they put me on hold and it cut off. I did this again with the same result -_-. I am slightly panicked now as I can't afford the £240 cancellation fee.  

What other ways can i prove I have moved address? Thank you.  

Comments

• littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,468
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Some bank correspondence for the new address? Otherwise, you don't have to be the owner of a property to have a utility in your name. 
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,251
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    JenP85 said: I have called them earlier today (When i found out the new address) and they put me on hold and it cut off. I did this again with the same result -_-. I am slightly panicked now as I can't afford the £240 cancellation fee.
    Log in to your Virgin account, and use the web form* to file a formal complaint about being disconnected. In your complaint, tell them why you were calling (you need to cancel contract due to moving outside their area).

*) https://www.virginmedia.com/help/complaints - Scroll about half way down for the link to the web form.
        Failing that, email the complaints team directly at [email protected]

I no longer trust what they say over a phone, so try to limit my dealings with them in writing. Email works for me, even if they don't like it.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,271
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    OP, why wouldn't you be on the Council Tax? You should be (hopefully not wrongly claiming the 25% discount). You may still get the 25% discount if either of you are exempt. Are you getting BB at the new house? Put your name on that.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 2,980
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 23 October 2023 at 12:02PM
    TBH , although it’s unfortunate, as you were never the householder , unless at the new address you get  one of the utilities put in your name , then you won’t be able to satisfy the criteria for getting out of the  early termination charges, I doubt Virgin will voluntarily waive them .

TBH , VM never offered this way out of paying ETC previously, if someone moved to an area VM didn’t cover it was simply tough luck , ETC was applied….even if someone did have utility bill ‘proof’ in the correct name of the new address not having access to Virgin Media.

Even for clear cut cases , it’s  not clear how this works …for example the ETC would be on the final VM invoice at the old address , but if that’s the date of the house move , it’s possible no utilitiy bills will exist yet , in the correct name at the new address and won’t for quite a  while , so are you expected to pay ETC and it’s refundable once the utility bills are produced for the new address in the correct name ?

I wonder if many people have actually successfully got the ETC refunded in this situation even when it’s genuine ?

TBH , I think it’s a charge that  will eventually have to be paid , getting broadband in your name rather than your grandmother was never a good idea , and as selling & buying houses , moving home expenses etc are considerable, perhaps your grandmother will settle this bill too as it’s probably going to be a small additional charge to the rest of the expenses involved in moving home .
  • JenP85
    JenP85 Posts: 45
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    OP, why wouldn't you be on the Council Tax? You should be (hopefully not wrongly claiming the 25% discount). You may still get the 25% discount if either of you are exempt. Are you getting BB at the new house? Put your name on that.
    I am on the council tax and have been since moving in and will be on the new one BUT from what I've read that is not enough. I am supposed to be the main person on it apparently.  
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,984
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Transfer the Virgin account to your grandmother, before the move, using the current address (or add her as a joint account holder), then use her name as the proof for the new address?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback