Promotion increase

Hi all, I recently got promoted to a senior role which meant my job responsibilities and hours have changed. I work as a senior receptionist in a GP surgery. As a senior, I now have more admin tasks, have to help the junior receptionist as well as run the surgery when the other senior staff go home-I am the night senior. 

I work part time 23.5hrs/week, Wednesday-Friday with 1/4 Saturday’s. As a junior receptionist I use to rotate my hours. 1 week early (8-4) 1 week late (12-8) but now I only work lates. I have two young children so barely get to see them on work days due to early school start and my late finish. 

So considering my new hours and responsibilities I thought I would get a higher increase. However all I got was 30p. Which works out just under 3% as I get paid minimum wage. Working out £7.05 extra a week! I am told that the will be reviewed after my 3-6months probationary period, but if the are low balling me now i doubt i can expect more after. 

And an FYI, i started training for the role 15 weeks ago, and have been fully doing the job for about 9 weeks. Only now have i got a formal offer and in this time have not been compensated for my new role. 

To me this seems very unreasonable as the job is very stressful and the late hours aren’t ideal. 

So my question is, what is an acceptable increase for a promotion with a change in hours and a lot more responsibility. 

Comments

• EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 254
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    various organisation  have policies such as ' a minimum of 5 % ' or ' the the next incremental point that results in a raise ( where there is an overlap)  
  • El_Torro
    El_Torro Posts: 1,424
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    This is one of the side effects of an increasing minimum wage. The wages just above minimum wage get squeezed since the employer is not legally forced to pay more for those roles. 

I don’t really know how much you should be paid. How much is the extra responsibility and stress worth to you? Unfortunately you seem to be on the back foot since you have essentially started doing the job before agreeing the terms before hand. 

Will this help you find new roles in the future? Is career progression important to you?
  • Seems more than a bit stingey, laura "give this lady a promotion and we can get her good work during unsocial hours for a pittance".

You've been doing the job for 2 months now so are you still on your 3-6 month probationary period and, if so, will you expect a higher salary when you have finished probation successfully ? 

What is the "going rate " of salary per hour for daytime "seniors"----you should be getting as much as them per hour ( and probably more given your unsocial hours). Check on the hourly rate for other senior/s. If you are getting less, then you should ask if pay will be increased in line with other senior/s when you have completed probation or whether the current offer is the final amount for your new role. I think you have to ask these questions and explain that £7 a week extra is just not good enough for you to be kept from your children for so long. Get a straight answer from the practice manager and then make your decision.

If the £7 per week is the final increase then you have to decide whether to feel grateful enough to carry on with your promotion or whether to revert to your previous duties and see more of home and children. If your enquiry really means just £7 extra per week for more stress, less quality home time, missing the kids ..............I know which one I'd choose !
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,622
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You need to decide your worth and whether you can look for a comparable role elsewhere, Personally I think I would have to say that the extra responsibilties are not financially worth it and ask to revert to previous duties. Many GP practices operate as businesses these days so they need to pay the going rate for the role which I should imagine is more than minilmum wage. I know retail work would be physically more demanding but most supermarkets pay more than minimum and have unsocial hours inducements.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,251
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    There is no legal requirement for any pay increase as long as pay remains above the minimum wage.  The question should have been asked when promotion was offered.  All the OP can really do at the moment is either complain again about being unhappy with the increase or wait until the end of probation in the hope of a decent increase.  A drastic alternative is to tell the employer that she is not prepared to take on the extra workload for such a small increase and wish to return to their previous role.  High risk.
  • Thank you for your responses. To add to the conversation some thing i omitted from my original post. 

I have only been working for the practice for 8 months and was ‘offered’ the role after 4 months. 

Another member of staff got promoted with me as a senior- she works full time and does the mon/tues night shift and rest of the week early. She is 19 so her original wage was lower than mine due to her age bracket but her wage as been increase to match mine. So her percentage of increase is higher. Not that i think i should be paid more because i am older, as i do think the age bracket system is unfair when we both do the same job, but i cant help feel that 30p is a ‘slap in the face’. 
    She had an offer meeting with the manager months ago and they verbally agreed on a higher wage than she was formally offered so she is not impressed either. 

In our contracts it says we are permitted to discussing our wage, of course i know this is not enforceable due to the equality act, but i do not want to get my colleague in hot water for discussing our wages. The other senior receptionist has been there several years so it is not possible to compare our wages. 

Progression in the role is important to me and with the experience and title i get i I can take anywhere, however I think for such little compensation for my time and duties it may not be worth it- currently.

I have requested an actual meeting with the Manager to discuss our expectations. I just worry that with the national wage increase in April, which is likely to be higher than the increase I’ve got, that i will not see the fruits of my labour and will go back to a minimum wage employee. 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,170
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It all depends on your personal priorities and goals.

I've always believe you maximise your career staying with a company and maximise your salary by switching companies. When I first moved into what I do now it was an internal move from the call centre. The average salary of my new team was around £100,000 and I was initially on about a fifth of that. I got 20%+ pay rises, almost unheard of in the company, but still after I got some experience I was asked to take on someone's workload whilst they were on a 6 month sabbatical despite them earning 3 times what I was paid.

Personally... didn't mind too much. I was getting involved in work which was way above my experience level. When I finally jumped ship to another firm they were offering me more than double my salary but at the interview they asked if I was sure I was ok with the money because they thought with the size of the work I'd done I could be demanding more. 

I'm sure for others in a different phase of their career or with a different home situation they wouldnt have been happy doing the work I did for the money I got but for me the exposure was worth it. 

In another earlier call centre job the team leaders got 50p more an hour than the sales agents but didn't have the opportunity to get commission and so in principle would have been on less money than the average agent based on the targeted sales rate would equate to just under £1 commission per hour.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,251
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Being back onto minimum wage would seem to be a real possibility given the employers apparent history of not carrying through on promises.  There is absolutely nothing you can do to force an employer to pay above minimum wage.  In truth there are only 2 options 1) Put up with being treated badly or 2) look for another job.
  • I hope your meeting with Manager goes well, laura. If not, either revert to your former duties ( in the hope that it has some effect on the practice's paltry offer to you) and/or start looking for a new manager-----your CV can say that you were made a "senior" by your former employers after just 8 months, which shows how good you are. And you must surely get a good reference from present employer as they promoted you.

But, if there's no financial improvement on the table where you are now, it's just not fair to you and the kids and your probable feeling of depression at being used as a door mat. Good luck.
  • DigSunPap
    DigSunPap Posts: 375
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I worked in pubs and bars for many years and found myself in the same situation. Getting promoted to management seems like a good idea, but in the minimum wage jobs I feel that you are just taking on a lot more responsibility for not actually that much renumeration for what its worth.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback