Is it possible to add my name to the council tax since April and pay what is owed?

Options
chumbasumba26
chumbasumba26 Posts: 36 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
Basically I want to show I have lived somewhere with a family member and it all ties up with what is the truthful reason.

I forgot to add my name back in April. It is currently only showing single occupancy, so I want to make sure all my ducks are in a row and that the council knows I have been living there since April.

I want to pay the amount owed as well.

Will the council be annoyed or question it?

Thanks

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    whose name is on the CT and presumably has been paying?  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • chumbasumba26
    Options
    Brie said:
    whose name is on the CT and presumably has been paying?  

A family member, of which I have guardianship of.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The reason I ask is I know of a situation where one individual is the named tenant of a property and a love interest has moved in.  The love interest has asked to be added as a tenant and to the council tax as well.  Being added as a tenant has been refused by the landlord - stating the individual must live there for a minimum of a year before they will consider adding them.  And the council has stated that as that individual is not a tenant they can't assume the situation has changed regarding paying tax despite this meaning that CT would become 100% instead of having a single person discount.  Not quite the same as you but gives you an idea of bureaucratic thinking in action.

What I suggest is that you notify the council in writing to advise them of the change of occupancy from single to 100%.  State that you wish to up date this for this tax year and want to pay any arrears (25% x 7 months) now and pay the 100% monthly amount from November.  Or that you need to make up the arrears and want it added to the monthly amount (to spread out the arrears until the end of the tax year).

Whether this annoys them or not is immaterial.  They will either agree or not.  If they say they can't change it for this tax year hang on to the letter they send with this stated.  Worst thing would be for them to come back in X months/years and say they've changed their mind and want a honking big lump sum.  And make sure the single supplement isn't in place for the next tax year....
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • chumbasumba26
    Options
    Ok thanks for that insight.

I am not worried about paying the extra, I am more worried about making me look legitimitely there so that if a care package has to come, the council aren't going to liquidate the property for care.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 16 October 2023 at 6:29PM
    Options
    Yes, tell them and they can recalculate.

If you are a carer, you may not count.

people who are not paid to provide care may be disregarded if they meet the following requirements:
    • they are providing care to a person who is in receipt of:
    • higher rate attendance allowance
    • the highest rate of the care component of a disability living allowance
    • an increase in the rate of his disablement pension
    • an increase in a constant attendance allowance)
    • they are resident in the same dwelling as the person to whom he/she is providing care
    • they are providing care for at least 35 hours a week on average
    • they are not a disqualified relative of that person (spouse or parent of a child under the age of 18)

If not, then whoever is the liable person (presumably the family member) loses their single adult discount and will be required to pay a lump sum. I see no reason why you should not voluntarily pay it.
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
     You say guardian of an adult. Do they have a mental impairment? If so you may still qualify for a council tax reduction 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/severe-mental-impairment-dementia-council-tax-rebate/
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Usually unless you have an interest in the dwelling for which CT is payable (tenant, occupying owner, owner of an unoccupied dwelling) you will not be considered a liable person and your name will not be added to the CT bill. But see posts by both @fatbelly and @marcia regarding CT exemption  
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback