Chatbots on the forum

Options
elsien
elsien Posts: 32,767 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 16 October 2023 at 9:35AM in Site feedback
There is one user on here who I am 90% sure is a chatbot.  There may be others. I've no issues with people using chatbots to help them phrase their posts (not something I'd do, but each to their own) however when it appears to be pure chatbot speak, what is MSE policy on this?

I'm not over keen on being used as a free resource to train someone else's commercial applications and it's not hugely different to spam.
This is going to become an increasing issue so what is MSE policy because if you don't have one you are going to need one. 
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.

Comments

• MSE_James
    MSE_James Posts: 1,184 Community Admin
    First Post First Anniversary Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    edited 16 October 2023 at 10:01AM
    Options
    Hello @elsien - our rules say:

If we feel something does cross the line and/or is harmful or detrimental to our users, we reserve the right to remove it.

This includes posts we believe have been generated by AI. Artificial intelligence can be a useful tool – MSE has its own AI chatbot – but the Forum is a place for real people to share their experiences and insights.

So as usual, if you see anything you think breaks our rules, please use the 'report' button.

Sometimes there will be edge cases where it's hard to be sure one way or another whether a post has been written with the help of AI, and we'll look carefully at each report to weigh things up.

In all cases, we'd ask Forumites to avoid publicly speculating about whether a particular post might be AI-written.
    Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you, please  can I check which Report button reason we should use because it’s not obvious which would apply - well not to me anyway. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • MSE_James
    MSE_James Posts: 1,184 Community Admin
    First Post First Anniversary Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    Options
    I would think 'technical disruption' would probably be the best fit. 
    Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 28 October 2023 at 2:35PM
    Options
    One was pointed out and i didn't believe it at first, But the time stamps of the posts in random forums and the content being a little off was the big clue, Im not sure what the point was though, maybe just to rack up new posts to start spamming links later on. That user could have been banned now and i would never find the post again as it was weeks ago now.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback