Advice on curtain header and hanging - mystified

TC77
TC77 Posts: 1,746
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Forumite
Hi, hoping the many creative people can help me. I have new to me curtain whixh have been in a cupboard for ages as I can't work out to head them. There doesn't appear to be anywhere to put hooks?! All and any advice welcome. I wondered if I should attach some header tape . Thank you.

Comments

• Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,084
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Is that not a loop for a hook that would go on a curtain pole runner eye at the top edge where the 'seams' run away from?
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,896
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    It's clearly a curtain but the maker skipped the header tape so the user could pick how they wanted the curtain to drape.  Make your choice of rufflette, sew it on (you sound as if you know where it should go, if in doubt read internet guidance ), hike the threads til its the right width, (knot one end hard first...) and apply hooks and hang.
    Then discover it's upside down or something equally frustrating but startlingly livable-with once you get over it.
    Best of luck!
  • TC77
    Forumite
    Hi, thanks for advice. There isn't a loop there's where they sew the thread over and over but its at right angles to how you would put a hook in. It has some pleats and I need the full width so will get some header tape. 
    Checking I need to hand sew it so as to not go through the curtain? Just started using a machine!
  • It's hard to tell from the back bit I think those are pinch pleats. The hooks are pushed into the pleat. Can you post a photo of the front? 
    If they are pinch pleat I'll post a photo of the hooks tomorrow and how they fix - too late tonight!
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • TC77
    Forumite
    Hi, thank you so much. Yes, they are pinch pleats  if you can post a photo of the hooks that  need it would be brilliant ! Really appreciated.
  • TC77 said:
    Hi, thank you so much. Yes, they are pinch pleats  if you can post a photo of the hooks that  need it would be brilliant ! Really appreciated.
    It'll be Friday when I'm back home
  • TC77
    Forumite
    Thank you!
  • in_my_wellies
    in_my_wellies Posts: 1,630
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 27 October 2023 at 5:52PM
    The hooks are flat and slide into the seam. It can be quite tough on the fingers!

• TC77
    Forumite
    Hi, thank you, and love your helper. Do the metal.hooks then just go into plastic rings on a curtain rail.  The metal hooks quite old fashioned but assume I can still get them online as small shops have closed. 
  • in_my_wellies
    in_my_wellies Posts: 1,630
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 27 October 2023 at 3:08PM
    Yes, they just hook into the plastic or metal ring on a rail or a pole. Put them in higher up or lower down the pleat depending how you want them to hang - just like most curtain tape has three pockets. I like them because the curtains hang into neat folds. 
    Also, put one in about 1" from each end of the heading, not in a pleat, just into the fabric and stiffening. Use this one to hook into the end stop and at the leading end it holds the end of the curtain up
    Just Google 'pinch pleat curtain hooks' I've seen them in Dunelm. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure