Facebook / meta Portal ???

I have been offered a Portal but don`t know much about them . I am wanting something for my very elderly parents so that i can video call them to check they are ok . It needs to be VERY simple .    I have read that they are now discontinued and a lot of features are not working now.   Will the messenger calling still work ??   Advice helpful please .     

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,237
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 14 October 2023 at 2:05PM
    Do they not have a mobile or a tablet? Can you not just WhatsApp them?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • They do not use a mobile or tablet  . want something VERY simple to use for them 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,237
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    According to Reddit, the messenger function was still working back in June.
    do they have the Internet?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • TimeLord1
    TimeLord1 Posts: 108
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Skype works OK for my parents if they have a smart TV you can do it through that, or cast it. 

They're not tech savvy but get on with it to chat with family and friends around the globe, so worth looking into they did video call units but I think that depleted with Amazon and Google devices having more options. Best to work if Android or iPhone is better for choice some apps are compatible on certain device's and some that were no longer function. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback