🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

State Pension final stamp contributions

Options
Hi, I received my state pension amount letter which was not the full pension amount I thought I would get when I retire in December. When I contacted the Department for Work and Pensions they informed me that I had not bought back enough years and that I would have to buy back a further year having already bought back 3 years that I had not fully contributed to(Ex HMF contracted out.). I am still at work and the person I spoke to at DWP said that the period from April 23 to December 2023 does not count toward my pension as this is my final year of work. Is this correct, each time I speak DWP advisor I get a different answer apparently the stamp I pay for each month of this year Goes towards NHS and School budgets ETC.

Comments

• sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    National Insurance is not just paid for state pension, they are correct.  The final tax year in which you retire does not count, this is also correct.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 October 2023 at 3:09PM
    Options
    The tax year in which you reach SP is not a relevant year, meaning it is not counted, for state pension purposes.
    Do you have any post 2016 gaps available ?
    Which years did you buy previously ?
    Feel sorry for my BIL, his birthday is 4th April, a whole year contributed for no pension gain.
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 October 2023 at 3:18PM
    Options
    PACD14 said:
    Goes towards NHS and School budgets ETC.
    Don't forget it goes towards Bereavement Support Payment, Employment and Support Allowance, Jobseeker’s Allowance, Maternity Allowance and Redundancy Payments, along with covering administration costs relating to paying benefits and maintaining the records and many other costs.

• RogerPensionGuy
    Options
    After reading this thread I'm again confused.com?

I'm currently 61 and my state pension age is 67.

My current state pension forecast is up to April 2023 and it shows over 40 years of NI payments, but I'm still one year short of a the full state pension of about £203 per week.

I was contracted out for some years so I understand why I've currently only got 34 years in leiu of the required 35.

I intend to stop paid employment between February and May 2024 and I will of paid lots if NI in 2023/24 year, way over the required amounts. 

I have assumed the above will complete the 35 years required and possibly have no paid employment every more and when I reach 67 I will get the full state pension. 

Reading this thread has got me confused. 

Can anyone confirm if my understanding above is all correct please?

And am I correct that if I was currently 66 and stopped paid employment as above a few months before becoming 67 this currently years NI contributions would not complete that last years input required?

I've actually googled my misunderstanding and haven't found anything much to clear my head on this matter. 

I'm sure a nice person will try explaining why I'm confused.

TIA Roger. 

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 October 2023 at 10:57AM
    Options

My current state pension forecast is up to April 2023 and it shows over 40 years of NI payments, but I'm still one year short of a the full state pension of about £203 per week.

I was contracted out for some years so I understand why I've currently only got 34 years in leiu of the required 35.

I intend to stop paid employment between February and May 2024 and I will of paid lots if NI in 2023/24 year, way over the required amounts. 

I have assumed the above will complete the 35 years required and possibly have no paid employment every more and when I reach 67 I will get the full state pension. 

And am I correct that if I was currently 66 and stopped paid employment as above a few months before becoming 67 this currently years NI contributions would not complete that last years input required?

I've actually googled my misunderstanding and haven't found anything much to clear my head on this matter. 

TIA Roger. 

You are confused!!

You definitely don't require 35 years, those rules are for those born this century.  Or adding qualifying years for the first time after April 2016.

You need your 40+ plus one more.

If 2023-24 is a qualifying year and you don't reach SPa until after 5 April 2024 then you will have added one more year.

That doesn't stop the requirement to pay NI until you reach SPa if you earn enough.
  • RogerPensionGuy
    Options

TIA Roger. 

You are confused!!

You definitely don't require 35 years, those rules are for those born this century.  Or adding qualifying years for the first time after April 2016.

If 2023-24 is a qualifying year and you don't reach SPa until after 5 April 2024 then you will have added one more year.

That doesn't stop the requirement to pay NI until you reach SPa if you earn enough.
    Tks.

Just say I'll be 67 on the 4th of April 2024 to help me understand. Assuming my SP age is 67 in this example. 

Does that mean that 12 months full way over minimum NI contributions April 2023 to March 2024 will not get my that last extra year I wanted?
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options

TIA Roger. 

You are confused!!

Tks.

Just say I'll be 67 on the 4th of April 2024 to help me understand. Assuming my SP age is 67 in this example. 

Does that mean that 12 months full way over minimum NI contributions April 2023 to March 2024 will not get my that last extra year I wanted?
    Well someone who is 67 on 4 April 2024 would have reached SPa on 4 April 2023 so wouldn't have been paying NI in 2023-24.

But irrespective of that the tax year that someone reaches SPa can never be a qualifying year, even if they get to SPa on 5 April it couldn't count, nevermind 4 April.
  • RogerPensionGuy
    Options

TIA Roger. 

You are confused!!

Tks.

Well someone who is 67 on 4 April 2024 would have reached SPa on 4 April 2023 so wouldn't have been paying NI in 2023-24.

But irrespective of that the tax year that someone reaches SPa can never be a qualifying year, even if they get to SPa on 5 April it couldn't count, nevermind 4 April.
    Tks.

So I now understand if a person's state pension age is achieved/birthday between 6th April and the following 5th of April, they won't pay NI contributions in that particular year.

Another item of interest I now know.
  • eastcorkram
    Options

TIA Roger. 

You are confused!!

Tks.

Tks.

So I now understand if a person's state pension age is achieved/birthday between 6th April and the following 5th of April, they won't pay NI contributions in that particular year.

They will up to the birthday date. They just won't count towards state pension.
    At least that's how I understand it!
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options

TIA Roger. 

You are confused!!

Tks.

Tks.

Not sure how you've got that idea.  Have you misread my previous post 🤔

If you earn enough employment income you pay Class 1 NI until you reach SPa.  That includes the tax year you reach SPa in.

But the tax year you reach SPa in, even if you reach SPa on the very last day of the tax year, doesn't count as a qualifying year.  So you could have paid NI throughout that year but it can't be a qualifying year.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure