Power of Attorney

Hi all - My wife had Power of Attorney over her mother's affairs until last weekend when she sadly passed away. What is the position of this responsibility now? In short, can she legally still access her mothers banks accounts?

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,545
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Crocgunnd said:
    Hi all - My wife had Power of Attorney over her mother's affairs until last weekend when she sadly passed away. What is the position of this responsibility now? In short, can she legally still access her mothers banks accounts?
    No.  POA stops when someone dies.  The executor/administrator takes over control of the estate.

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,274
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    As above , luckily I was both attorney and executor which made the whole thing reasonably painless 
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback