Types of fire and fire place

I'd resigned myself to only getting an electric fan fire and surrounding fire place but I do hate the fan noise and don't find them that efficient and the cost of running is not great.
They look smart granted and easy to install.

So, small bungalow. Plasterboard walls, thin and ceiling artex. No chimney. Outside wall 70% patio doors.
Inside walls to garage, kitchen or en suite.

I made the (reasonable) assumption that in such a build any fire with a flame ie log burner or gas fire would be a potential fire hazzard and the building go up rapidly.

Just thought there are so many new types out there that I have no idea about and wondered if there were any suggestions for something welcoming and warm for the winter?

I used to live in an Edwardian house with open fires, gas fires and log burners. Lots of logs where I live.
Something with an artificial glow and whirring is going to be a poor replacement but that's what everyone has in this estate.

All suggestions welcome.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Comments

• Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,085
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Wait for at least 12 months and live with the new home and no 'fireplace' and see how this winter goes.

Personally a fireplace just limits the furniture locations and for most the 'focal point' is the TV nowadays?

Fit a TV to the wall with a 'fire' video on loop.

No reason a proper tiny freestanding fire (wood or multifuel burner) couldn't be installed with flue up through the roof.  But a modern small well insulated bungalow may not need any extra heating like that. 

We bought this house and it has a fireplace, chimney and super-expensive electric 'Optimist' fire that we inherited.  We have used it twice (it needed mending first).  Pile of junk.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,308
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Thank you Rodders.
    I don't seem to be getting alerts to answers atm.

I barely use a tv and mostly it's warm enough but I've been here 4yrs. The pandemic put everything on hold in rural areas.

It's the pleasure of something warming on really gloomy days.

• cerebus
    cerebus Posts: 515
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    There's nothing stopping you getting a log burner and fitting a flue although it would be pricey , log burners are enclosed and the risk of fire is small (outside of it! seen any news where a log burner has burnt a house down recently?) 

Failing that if your place is warm and you don't need the additional heating is get a realistic electric fire with flame effect and use it as a flame effect only , no heat and no noisy fan and that way you have minimum electric bills

Nothing beats the look and smell of a real fire though 
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,308
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Yes it's warm but second house where the heating has gone wrong and it's comforting to have backup.
    Also if heating goes somewhere to dry towels and clothes.

But a real full warmth in a living room is so relaxing to snuggle down in on bad days in winter.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport