Car Insurance Renewal - Delayed Quotes

It would appear that one very well known insurer is trying to circumvent consumers getting quotes and accepting them before the optimum period of 23 - 26 days by not issuing renewal quotes now until 21 days.

Does anyone else have experience of this.

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,781
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 11 October 2023 at 1:37PM
    I expect plenty have.  Is there a consumer rights question?  I can't see that the insurer is doing anything wrong unless they've breached their terms and conditions that say they'll provide more notice.  Just compare them online as a theoretically new customer and go with another provider if the deal is better (not necessarily cheaper).
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,599
    Forumite
    So long as a reminder goes out before renewal is all that matters. There is no legal timeframe set for them.

TBH, If Ins co's see someone like ML saying get a quote X days in advance for the best price. Do you not think that they will change their process & make this a dearer period? 
    Could even be a scam to get people to pay higher prices & ML has a interest in this.

Maybe I'm just to cynical. But that is what I would do. 
    Life in the slow lane
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,632
    Forumite
    As long as they provide the quote in good time for you to be able to cancel the auto renewal before the DD process is started then I can't see any real issues. 14 days before renewal would that kind of range, 10 working days minimum.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,097
    Forumite
    1) Nothing stops you getting the quotes earlier and sitting on them until your renewal arrives 

2) As proven by the complaint to Martin on the forum here, the theory of what is the optimal time doesn't always hold true. They declined quotes as MSE said they were too early and would get cheaper later but when they did new quotes the prices had gone up despite now being in your claimed optimal window.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback