Laptop reliability

YBR
YBR Posts: 527
First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
Forumite
edited 11 October 2023 at 8:46AM in Techie Stuff
My husband's HP laptop failed fatally in under 2 years which seems not much but it was out of warrantee, and I also could do with a new laptop now - my is still going at over 10 years old but very slow.

We're hoping to keep it to under £800 each for laptops capable of video editing and streaming (probably using Black Friday deals or similar). What brands are generally going to last?

Comments

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,614
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you are doing heavy video editing I would recommend a Macbook, but that would blow your budget and if a 10 year old Windows laptop is doing the job then a new one will certainly be more than capable.

HP is typically a reliable brand as is Dell and Lenovo. The dell outlet store may be a good one to look at.

You will be wanting either an Intel I5 or i7 or an AMD Ryzen 5 or 7 processor with a dedicated graphics card (not shared) and I would suggest 16Gb RAM minimum and a 1TB SSD hard drive (Min 512Gb if doing video editing).
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,804
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    YBR said:
    My husband's HP laptop failed fatally in under 2 years which seems not much but it was out of warrantee, and I also could do with a new laptop now - my is still going at over 10 years old but very slow.

We're hoping to keep it to under £800 each for laptops capable of video editing and streaming (probably using Black Friday deals or similar). What brands are generally going to last?

My current HP laptop I've had since 2018.
    A lot may depend on what was happening with it to cause it to fail after just two years.  The common cause is blocking the cooling vents on the bottom, such as leaving it on the bed for example and then wondering why it cooks itself.

My previous Acer lasted 12 years FYI.
  • cerebus
    cerebus Posts: 513
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    YBR said:

There's not a single component that can't be replaced on a laptop which will cost a lot less than £800 to fix

What exactly happened to your husbands laptop? You might have some consumer rights here to get it fixed but I believe its an uphill battle (not my area of expertise but try posting elsewhere on the forum)
  • YBR
    YBR Posts: 527
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thank-you for your comments. It is comforting that HP are still regarded as normally reliable. I don't think much of the commercial Dell laptops my employer gets in bulk.

The dead laptop was not used where the vents are blocked, such as your example on a bed. I don't know the details but the cost-to-fix would have been around £700 so really not worth it. I might have tried pursuing consumer rights but he chose not to.

We now know what we want to replace with, and both the same. I'm not sure why Cisco assumes that I want a less capable machine than my husband, or that I am only up to "ordinary web surfing" and don't do video editing!
  • cerebus
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    YBR said:
    Thank-you for your comments. It is comforting that HP are still regarded as normally reliable. I don't think much of the commercial Dell laptops my employer gets in bulk.

The dead laptop was not used where the vents are blocked, such as your example on a bed. I don't know the details but the cost-to-fix would have been around £700 so really not worth it. I might have tried pursuing consumer rights but he chose not to.

We now know what we want to replace with, and both the same. I'm not sure why Cisco assumes that I want a less capable machine than my husband, or that I am only up to "ordinary web surfing" and don't do video editing!
    £700 ? Not a chance it would ever cost that to fix , that amount would mark it as not cost effective it to fix.

It's also a trick used by repair companies/personnel where they massively overprice the repair cause they either don't want the job or don't have a clue how to fix it 
  • cerebus
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    As you intend to spend a fair bit on your new laptops I would be cheeky and ask for a discount when you buy 
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,134
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    cerebus said:
    YBR said:

£700 ? Not a chance it would ever cost that to fix , that amount would mark it as not cost effective it to fix.

It's also a trick used by repair companies/personnel where they massively overprice the repair cause they either don't want the job or don't have a clue how to fix it 
    ... or want to be able to offer the owner a pittance for a defunct laptop, knowing they can fix it for a few quid and sell it on for a good profit.
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • you haven’t said what fatally means
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • YBR said:

Was the old laptop okay for video editing? If so, what was the spec?

When you say "streaming", do you mean just watching streamed videos or are you live-streaming gaming content OUT to YouTube/Twitch, etc?

Video editing / streaming (transmitting) are going to push the spec requirements up a bit, but not too much if you're realistic about the capacity of the device.... if you are serious about either, get a desktop as the GPU capacity is WAY higher and it's easier to add lots of RAM and high spec storage.

In terms of longevity, I've still got Thinkpads from 2007 that work (X61 Core2Duo).... and several from around 2012 (X230: i3-3110, i5 and i7-3520 - all still used on a daily basis!)... so I do tend to stick to Lenovo if I can as they seem to last forever.... Dell are a little more fickle, but I've got a couple that are ~10years old and still run fine.

A few months ago, I picked up a "Lenovo LOQ" with the 16 inch screen for £1100, but that was 16Gb RAM, Ryzen 7 7840HS and RTX4060... and that was STRAIGHT after it launched and you could trim the spec down a little (e.g. 15" or lower spec RAM to start with)... and if the prices have come down even a little for Black Friday, something like that might be within budget?

Main compromise was the screen is only around 1080P (technically 16:10, 1200P), but it's high refresh rate and doesn't need a crazy GPU to drive it, compared to MUCH higher GPU requirements if I went for a higher resolution screen. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback