One year fixed rate bond

Hi I took out a one year fixed rate bond last October that is due to mature but a 5 months ago I decided to move to Spain and have a NIE residence card, can I continue investing my bond for another year with no changes or do I need to withdraw it as I am no longer tax resident in uk?

Comments

• DigSunPap
    DigSunPap Posts: 375
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Your change in tax residency to Spain can impact your fixed-rate bond. I would consider your current bond provider's policy for non-resident account holders and the tax implications of being a Spanish tax resident first.
  • I want to invest in a savings bond for one year fixed rate  in uk as an expat who moved to Spain 7 months ago I’m finding it difficult to invest my money in the uk even though I will be residing back there in 9 months time. Can anyone suggest where I can invest a £100k +??
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,489
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I want to invest in a savings bond for one year fixed rate  in uk as an expat who moved to Spain 7 months ago I’m finding it difficult to invest my money in the uk even though I will be residing back there in 9 months time. Can anyone suggest where I can invest a £100k +??
    Can you clarify your position as it doesn't really make sense to me. You're an expat that moved to Spain 7 months ago and have residency but in 9 months you plan to return to the UK permanently? Is that correct?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I want to invest in a savings bond for one year fixed rate  in uk as an expat who moved to Spain 7 months ago I’m finding it difficult to invest my money in the uk even though I will be residing back there in 9 months time. Can anyone suggest where I can invest a £100k +??
    Spain?    
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,102
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 20 October 2023 at 7:39PM
    Possibly NS&I but only if you still have a UK account and if you live in certain countries (not sure whether Spain is one of them). If you're non-resident you'll have a very hard time with ordinary institutions. Otherwise wait until you're back or look for something in Spain. If you have a brokerage account you could think about money market type funds or buying individual gilts.

https://www.nsandi.com/help/join-nsandi/using-nsandi-outside-uk#:~:text=You%20may%20not%20be%20able,we%20can%20update%20your%20details.
  • jimjames said:
    Can you clarify your position as it doesn't really make sense to me. You're an expat that moved to Spain 7 months ago and have residency but in 9 months you plan to return to the UK permanently? Is that correct?
    It’s complicated I will be residing back in uk to care for my elderly mother but Indefinitely. I’m a Spanish NIE card holder through my EU passport so im in between both countries but I don’t want to invest in something I’m not allowed to. I have looked an Investec bonds which I have criteria for, do you know much about them?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback