HMRC Rebate via Wyndan Group Limited

Options
Hi I received a letter from HMRC to say I would be receiving a cheque for a rebate for £196.36 and the cheque would be sent to The Wyndan Group Limited who I thought were looking into any possible PPI tax rebate claims for me.
I have now received a cheque from Wyndan for £24.13 and emailed them to explain how they can justify charging me what amounts to  around an 87% fee.
They apparently justified it with this reply (I saved you the time by taking out the waffle)
Hi Peter,

Thank you for your email.

As part of the process we are detailed as your “Nominee” which means that the cheque is issued to ourselves at which point we will deduct our fee and forward you the remaining amount.

This means you will not have the inconvenience of remembering to pay our invoice.

I can confirm that your claim has been successful, and due to the claim value, the payment that was issued is per the fee calculations as stated in our terms and conditions.

We received a cheque from HMRC for £196.86, our fees amounted to £172.68 which resulted in a cheque for £24.18 being issued to yourself.

Obviously the inconvenience of not remembering to pay the invoice can be translated to "saving you the convenience of telling us to f@$$ off when you see our fees"

Has anyone had any dealings with them and what do I need to do to stop any further work they think they would like to save me the inconvenience of doing myself,
Thank you all for taking the time to read my thread and yes I do know now I should have been more careful so lesson learnt.

Comments

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 9 October 2023 at 5:40PM
    Options
    Are you trying to say the fee is different to whatever agreement you have with this company?

You do seem to have engaged them for this work.

the cheque would be sent to The Wyndan Group Limited who I thought were looking into any possible PPI tax rebate claims for me

• gally56
    gally56 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you trying to say the fee is different to whatever agreement you have with this company?

the cheque would be sent to The Wyndan Group Limited who I thought were looking into any possible PPI tax rebate claims for me

When They offered their services I asked what commission they took and 35% was said so the amount they took is clearly well above that and to even claim the extra is to cover admin fees is a cop out
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,524 Forumite
    edited 10 October 2023 at 7:36AM
    Options
    gally56 said:

When They offered their services I asked what commission they took and 35% was said so the amount they took is clearly well above that and to even claim the extra is to cover admin fees is a cop out

They do say this on their website and a quick Google search suggests 35% is the commission.  Seemingly plus a flat £100 fee.

But irrespective of that why you would want to use a third party to do something you can easily do yourself is a mystery. After all you needed to supply them with the same details you would have needed to fill in the R40 claim form.

Our fees are uniquely calculated for each refund

** Important ** Before you accept us to work on your behalf please read carefully our terms and conditions and fee structure.

All our fees are calculated on a case by case basis meaning they are determined on the refunds value. 
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,428 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    35% plus £100 and its a Vatable service is the firm is VAT registered (VAT being 20%).

Its a shame you employed a company to do less than minutes work.   Its a bit similar to paying a plumber to change a washer on a tap.    i.e. it costs under £1 to do, only takes 10 minutes but a plumber has to cover their costs dealing with it, driving time, liability etc probably booked out by the hour.

Thank you all for taking the time to read my thread and yes I do know now I should have been more careful so lesson learnt.
    <devil's advocate mode on>
    • You were missold PPI
    • You may have used a claims company for doing what takes a few minutes (you may not but most of these tax reclaims get your details from the CMC or it's the same CMC (sometimes under a new name) having another dip into your money).
    • You used a CMC for a simple tax reclaim
    • You didnt read the terms for that simple tax reclaim.
    How many times does it take for that lesson to be learnt? 

<devil's advocate mode off>

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Options
    Be aware that they are presumably registered with HMRC, so any future rebates etc will be sent to them as well.
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • gally56
    gally56 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nyermen said:
    Be aware that they are presumably registered with HMRC, so any future rebates etc will be sent to them as well.
    They sent an email me confirming they had written to HMRC to be withdrawn as my nominee and I shall confirm this with HMRC too
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback