Heading towards Birmingham

Options
I'll be travelling to the West Midlands this autumn and would like to spend a few days sampling the cultural delights of the surrounds. I'm based in the South East and have visited Warwickshire and the East Midland extensively, so its time to go north or west of Birmingham. I'll be driving so flexible about location. What is unmissable at this time of year?
No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.

Comments

• carly
    carly Posts: 1,414 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you're interested in social history then the Black Country museum is worth a visit.  Home - Black Country Living Museum (bclm.com)
    Similarly  Ironbridge Gorge and environs.    Cradle of the Industrial revolution  Blists Hill Victorian Town - Ironbridge Valley of Invention

• carly
    Options
    Also depending how far North and west you wish to travel there are several NT properties inc
    Chirk Castle,   Powis Castle   Erddig,   Attingham Park and   Shugborough
    43722 Posts: 233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lichfield Cathedral is a gem. Also, if it interests you, the National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas.
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 October 2023 at 1:37PM
    Options
    Thanks all. I'm thinking north for the first foray and then towards Shropshire for the second. Keep the suggestions coming please?
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,806 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 October 2023 at 2:09PM
    Options
    I’m going to second Alrewas. I’m not really into military stuff, but it’s still an interesting place to visit.
    Trentham estate?
    Walking the Malverns? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • carly
    Options
    Stoke on Trent has lots of ceramic factory outlets / museums  and Trentham Gardens. 

https://www.visitstoke.co.uk/
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,806 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, Gladstone Pottery museum is a good one.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,500 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Kinver Edge for the rock houses.  Bratch locks on the Staffs & Worcs Canal.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • Richard1212
    Options
    There's a great many who would say "West Midland Cultural Delights" is an oxymoron LOL. But,having been born and brought up in West Midlands till 18 when left for Uni, I feel I should add my two penn'orth ( a Black Country expression) to the good suggestions already made ( of which I agree most with Lichfield Cathedral and Alrewas).

Most of the castles and large houses mentioned are all in Wales and a bit far away. The main nearby historic houses are Boscobel House ( and Wood---where King Charles II hid in the famous oak tree ) after the Battle of Worcester. It is in Shrops, just over the border of West Midlands near Wolverhampton. Another house he hid in was Moseley Old Hall in Wolverhampton; both are now owned by Nat Trust I believe. In the Shrops/Staffs area there are also Weston Park and also Lilleshall ( the latter being in Newport a few miles from Wolverhampton but in Shrops).

While talking of Wolverhampton, the Grand Theatre in the city centre is a gem of internal beauty with ornate gold coloured features and was where Charlie Chaplin made his debut ( as a young servant ) in 1902. I spent many happy hours at The Grand and , since its complete refurbishment using Lottery and Govt money, and if you are interested in an evening out after your explorations, I strongly recommend The Grand Theatre in the heart of the city.  It's probably of no interest to you but also in the city centre lies Molineux Stadium, the home of Wolverhampton Wanderers FC since 1889 and a fine example of the new fashion in football stadia.

If you like Indian food , I believe Wolverhampton to offer a better choice of restaurants than even B-ham.

If you want to see where the first contribution to global warming was made, there is always Coalbrookdale where Abraham Darby and his ancestors invented a new method for making iron, and built one of the first iron bridges, over the Severn ; there is the ironbridge gorge museum.

The best countryside to see the autumnal colours would have to be Cannock Chase in Staffs which stretches for many miles and has wild deer and a hidden German Military Cemetery. The Chase is a popular place for walking and picnicking during the summer. 

And while in the area in which you are based, I recommend a look at the very pleasant ancient county towns of Shrewsbury (see the Abbey), Stafford and Hereford. And my favourite town in the West Midlands lies in the heart of Shrops ------Ludlow is IMHO one of the finest historic towns in England and is a place where a tourist could spend several days ( great buildings and medieval townscape and some of the finest gourmet restaurants in the whole Midlands' area).

I hope you enjoy your visit to the cradle of the Industrial Revolution whilst seeing some of the finest countryside and places of historic interest.
    Happy Holiday.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure