Would you ever swap from owning a car to personal lease/PCP?

13»

Comments

• Bluebell1000
    Bluebell1000 Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 10 October 2023 at 8:43PM
    We sold our old diesel to move to a salary sacrifice arrangement. Saved loads of time and stress for my husband who doesn't have to try and do repairs. With an EV, fuel is very cheap and so overall costs are really only a few pounds more the cost of the lease itself. Yes, it's more expensive than buying an old car and running it until it's scrap, but it takes out the uncertainty of not knowing when there might be a large bill coming up. We took a 4 year lease initially and have just signed up for another 4 years, with the latest model of the same car. Might consider buying it off them after the next 4 years are up though.
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    fred990 said:
    Not going to read an article behind a paywall. But I can read from the headline that it really doesn't say it all, at all. And perhaps if you bothered to read the comments on this thread, including my own, you'd realise that it doesn't. Sometimes it isn't about the "best car you can have" (and believe me, I haven't leased the best car I could have) - it's about managing financial and familial priorities. 
  • Lavendyr
    PS - MSE has its own, far more balanced oped here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/car-leasing/
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,009 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Lavendyr said:
    fred990 said:
    Not going to read an article behind a paywall. But I can read from the headline that it really doesn't say it all, at all. And perhaps if you bothered to read the comments on this thread, including my own, you'd realise that it doesn't. Sometimes it isn't about the "best car you can have" (and believe me, I haven't leased the best car I could have) - it's about managing financial and familial priorities. 

Just copy the URL and paste it into the wayback machine, then read the full article from yesterday. ;)

I'll save you the time though

Apparently no-one is "buying" non-premium brand cars anymore as they can PCP a Mercedes/Audi/BMW/RangeRover/Lexus for a few pounds more a month than a Vauxhall/Ford

So there is gazillions of pounds worth of credit sitting on people's drives.

I got bored before they got to any point.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,578 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    We currently have a car which we have a personal loan for. We pay £390 a month and have £16k outstanding - car is worth around £30k. It's a big diesel car, so obviously expenses are high too. 

The thread title doesn't really tie in. You don't own the car at the moment so salary sacrifice scheme isn't really any different. The schemes seem very good value for money but are dependent on tax rates and BIK remaining as they are.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • fred990
    fred990 Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Lavendyr said:
    fred990 said:
    LOL...so if I had 'bothered' to read your comment...(and others) it wouldn't actually say what it did...and you didn't read the article...too funny 😄. 
    Funnily, i've been pondering a small Caddy sized van to facilitate a side project i'm going to work on. I havent seen much movement yet, but in theory markets like pickups and vans are likely to be hit by the upcoming downturn.
    Would be interesting to hear if anyone has direct experience?

Why? So you can argue with them?
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,679 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    facade said:

Apparently no-one is "buying" non-premium brand cars anymore as they can PCP a Mercedes/Audi/BMW/RangeRover/Lexus for a few pounds more a month than a Vauxhall/Ford

Which is interesting because most of the top 10 cars by sales figures are non-premium, ditto most of the cars I see on the road.

Anyway, if you just view a car as a utility and/or are on a strict budget, then leasing one seems like a reasonable thing to do; you pay some money every month and get a car, job done.
    Since you lease new, buying older will probably be cheaper, but out of warranty you risk being hit by bills which need covered at the time. I usually have older cars and I remember having to find £600 for welding to get a car through an MOT, £1500 after some kind of pulley broke, and so on.  I bought newer this time (within warranty) which has provided a bit more peace of mind, and I'd definitely consider a lease when my kids are older and I don't need to worry about keeping it good. If I don't need to hand the car back in any particular condition, and I'm keeping it for a long time then scratches and dents aren't really an issue.

• Lavendyr
    edited 15 October 2023 at 11:23PM
    facade said:
    Lavendyr said:
    fred990 said:

Just copy the URL and paste it into the wayback machine, then read the full article from yesterday. ;)

I'll save you the time though

So there is gazillions of pounds worth of credit sitting on people's drives.

I got bored before they got to any point.
    Thanks :) I learned today - never heard of the wayback machine before, brilliant!

If that's the summary then I stick by my view that it doesnt say it all - honestly most of my neighbours own their (non-premium) cars and as I said, until about a month ago so did I. My choice was driven by personal circumstances and was only made easier by identifying a car I'd love to drive and by finding a surprisingly good deal which ensures I won't have any surprise bills to pay and while I am paying more than I would lose in depreciation + service + wear & tear repairs + road tax + breakdown cover + higher fuel costs due to lower fuel economy on previous car - I have the certainty that it's all covered. In a one car household with children, that is really important. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback