Recently widowed mum - first time own policy

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone may be able to help with some advice? My dad recently dies, and my mum is now having to take out her first car insurance policy in her name. She is 79 and has always just been a named driver on my dad's policy, so has no no-claims bonus. I have just gone to get a quote and it is coming out really high, and wondered if there may be a way to reduce it by putting me as the policy holder (I have 10+ years no claims). However, I don't live with mum and although I do drive the car occasionally, she is the main driver. I also have a car of my own that I use my no claims discount for. Any advice or help on how to get a more manageable quote would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,508
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Has she gone to your father's insurer, they are often amenable to discounting to the named driver in these circumstances.
    If you take the policy you need to make it clear to the insurer that you are not the owner, keeper or main driver and with that information a policy will unlikely be cheap.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,775
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Having you as a named driver on your mum's new policy may help reduce the price a bit, however it needs to be her as the main driver, otherwise it's fraud.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 31/1/24 £100.32, Chase Interest £6.38, Chase roundup interest £0.07, Chase CB £5.01, Roadkill £1.08, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30
    Total £169.16/£2024  8.35%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,529
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You can only use the no claims bonus once so if you are using it on your car you can't use it again on your mum's car.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Upzeecreek
    Upzeecreek Posts: 111
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 October 2023 at 8:47PM
    When my dad died, they ( LV) transferred his no claims bonus to my mum. She had been a named driver on his policy It was all done at the same time when we notified them of his death. 
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,129
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    As above you cannot use your no claims bonus on more than one policy at once, so using yours to help your mum is a non-starter, unless you plan to stop using it on your own car's policy and see your own premiums increase instead.

Also as above, if you speak to the company that your dad had a policy with, most insurers will deal with these things sensitively and will transfer a NCD to a spouse in sutuations where one partner has died, or is unlikely to drive again for health reasons.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback