Dementia- ongoing fraud on bank accounts

Options
My Mum has dementia and I have just become an attorney under her LPA. So I had a look at the bank accounts and to my horror since October 2022 both current accounts have been hammered by fraudulent transactions. I notified the banks and to my horror one has come back and said that they will not investigate it because it is over 13 old and she should have notified them sooner. I have made a complaint because the letter even implies that nothing will be done from now back 13 months. The branch agent advised us that the letter wasn’t helpful in how it was phrased. 
I had no idea my Mum wasn’t receiving statements. I know that she didn’t have internet banking (thank goodness).
it was a call from another bank re a possible fraudulent transaction that kicked this fervent checking if statements in the first place. 
I am not sure how I should have know at what point we crossed the line from my Mum being diligent re the bank accounts. Dementia has crept in unannounced. It wasn’t a case of not having it one day and being afflicted the next for all to fathom.
Has anyone successfully challenged a time limit of investigation with a bank on the grounds that the indirectly discriminates people disabled by dementia? 

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
     What type of transaction? Card, direct debits? 
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,646 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Are you sure these are fraudulent or just subscriptions she has simply forgotten about? Who are the recipients of these payments? 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I’d agree you need to clarify the nature of the fraudulent transactions first, and what makes you believe they are fraudulent.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    FCA dictated that any fraud or unrecognised transactions over 13 months are the responsibility of the account holder.
    So a compliant is not going to be upheld even if it goes to FOS.

It does not discriminate against anyone. Everyone is treated the same. I have had to deal with a family member with Dementia & know the length of time it takes to be diagnosed.

But as others have asked really need to know about the transactions. Best guess for experience on this, will be these will relate to phone calls & either some form of insurance (shy dish etc) or subscription charges to certain websites that sell products. Given the timeframes mentioned.
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure