Anyone else struggle to settle post redundancy?

Options
I ask this as I am about to start job number 3 this week post my redundancy in March.

I've struggled to settle into any of these jobs.  I think when you are made redundant from a job you've been in a long time you lose part of yourself, the job is part of your identity.  You go from someone who was valued, respected, needed, secure to the newbie who's pretty much the opposite.

The first job I got was just plain toxic, I knew after a couple of weeks I needed out, job number 2 was perfect or seemed perfect until I got in and discovered my role was just to be the floater or backup guy, the problem being I was never actually needed and floated around doing menial work.  I did get my chance to shine recently when the boss was sick, I took over his job, I impressed my colleagues who didn't know I could do what I did, I didn't impress the boss who nitpicked every detail on his return so I knew then where I stood in there.

And now this week I start job number 3, I'm not exactly filled with confidence with this either given my track record thus far.  

I recently had a WhatsApp chat with my former colleagues who were made redundant, none of them are in the same jobs they left to go to either, so seems I'm not alone.

Comments

• housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It sounds like you probably took the first job going after redundancy (fair enough) but then have been rushing into jobs, to get out the toxic one etc. 
    Take your time looking for your next one and ask questions about the role and what you will be doing.

I was recently made redundant and took the first suitable job that came my way. In fairness the employer is so damn good, the money and pension are fantastic but I feel like I am not needed. Everyone works really slow and so I burn through my work in a few days and then literally sit starting at a blank screen. I had wanted a more challenging role but I don't think I asked enough questions at the interview.

I'm contemplating moving but will be much more picky the next time around.  
  • n1guy
    n1guy Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It sounds like you probably took the first job going after redundancy (fair enough) but then have been rushing into jobs, to get out the toxic one etc. 
    Take your time looking for your next one and ask questions about the role and what you will be doing.

I was recently made redundant and took the first suitable job that came my way. In fairness the employer is so damn good, the money and pension are fantastic but I feel like I am not needed. Everyone works really slow and so I burn through my work in a few days and then literally sit starting at a blank screen. I had wanted a more challenging role but I don't think I asked enough questions at the interview.

I'm contemplating moving but will be much more picky the next time around.  
    Yeah you’re maybe right that was probably my downfall too, I didn’t ask enough questions and just jumped on whoever would take me.  
  • housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hopefully your new job is good and ticks all the boxes 🤞 it's does seem surprisingly hard to get it all, good employer and fulfilling work. I have never really managed it. 
    Past jobs that were fulfilling were for horrible employers and the great employers have come with dull jobs. 
  • n1guy
    Options
    Hopefully your new job is good and ticks all the boxes 🤞 it's does seem surprisingly hard to get it all, good employer and fulfilling work. I have never really managed it. 
    Past jobs that were fulfilling were for horrible employers and the great employers have come with dull jobs. 
    Thanks yeah.  Sadly that’s so true,  so many decent jobs ruined by poor employers.  The job I got made redundant from was the later, great employer dull as dish water work.  As you say can’t have it all.
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The word redundancy can have nasty connatations and is often attached to the person not the role. This can follow through to new jobs in that employers might have an undescribed bias thinking why were you let go when others kept on or knowing you applied to them in a sense of desperation rather than standard career advancement. You need to evaluate your feelings and decision making are you applying for roles for which you are over qualified eg post two where you easily stepped in to management. Step back and take things slowly, firms would not appoint you if there was not a job too be done they are not charities. Take stock and reevaluate where you would like to be in 2, 5 then 10 years and plan how to get there.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 October 2023 at 12:01PM
    Options
    Just to give the other side of the coin, following redundancy, I went to a new job that has worked out absolutely fine. There were other jobs that maybe wouldn’t have gone so well, but this one aligned with what I really wanted to do so it’s the one that I took. It doesn’t have to be negative following redundancy.
    I think I’ve noted before that you also had problems in the job that you were in for a long time so it may be that a little self reflection might help as well. Do you think there’s an element of looking at your long-term job through rose tinted glasses because at ?
    Do you think there’s an element of looking at your long-term job through rose tinted glasses because at the time it certainly wasn’t all plain sailing from your previous threads. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • n1guy
    Options
    elsien said:
    Just to give the other side of the coin, following redundancy, I went to a new job that has worked out absolutely fine. There were other jobs that maybe wouldn’t have gone so well, but this one aligned with what I really wanted to do so it’s the one that I took. It doesn’t have to be negative following redundancy.
    I think I’ve noted before that you also had problems in the job that you were in for a long time so it may be that a little self reflection might help as well. Do you think there’s an element of looking at your long-term job through rose tinted glasses because at ?
    Do you think there’s an element of looking at your long-term job through rose tinted glasses because at the time it certainly wasn’t all plain sailing from your previous threads. 
    Maybe.  I think it was a case of the grass was greener elsewhere until you’re forced to go elsewhere then you think “Hmm that maybe wasn’t so bad”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback