🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Now NS&I Guaranteed Growth Bonds withdrawn Alternatives that are available

Options
Min deposit same as the NS&I Bonds £500

Beehive 1 yr 6.1% 
Ford Money 1yr 6.05%
Ford Money 18 months  6.05%
Ford Money 2 yrs 6.05%

Worth noting Ford Money also offers monthly interest option (5.89% mthly)  which may be useful to some people.  Also monthly and annual interest can be paid away.  21 days to make unlimited deposits and offer Best Rate Guarantee so if their interest rate goes  up before you make your first deposit which is probably unlikely then you would get the better rate.   Also can be closed within 14 days of making initial deposit.

Comments

• jimexbox
    jimexbox Posts: 12,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oxbury existing customer is offering 6.11% fixed for a year, if anyone already has an account. 
  • ToastLady
    ToastLady Posts: 327 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Al Rayan is still offering 6.12% (min £5000 deposit) with a 60 day funding window. I've just opened one (existing customer) as I've got a couple of fixes maturing later this month. I had already got NS&I with funds from easy access, thank goodness. Was actually quite surprised how long it was available.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 6,041 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I know, I'm always saying... If you haven't used up your ISA options,   don't overlook the c5.7% ISA fixes which are the equivalent of c 7.10% taxed... 
  • thundyuk
    thundyuk Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just opened a Beehive 6.10% and just as a PSA there's a warning it'll be withdrawn soon on my account so don't wait. I missed the NS&I boat because I waited a day longer than I planned .:|
  • thundyuk
    thundyuk Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    soulsaver said:
    I know, I'm always saying... If you haven't used up your ISA options,   don't overlook the c5.7% ISA fixes which are the equivalent of c 7.10% taxed... 
    Oh, you mean with the taxable interest not applying?
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,670 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    thundyuk said:
    soulsaver said:
    Oh, you mean with the taxable interest not applying?
    Yes that what is meant.
    If you are in a position where you have to pay tax on interest then you would need an account paying 7.1% to get a net return of 5.7% , which you can get in a one year ISA.
  • Growingold
    Growingold Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As a comparison for one year bonds
    Bonds paying 6.20%   on every £1000  interest would be £62.00
    Bonds paying 6.10%   on every £1000  interest would be £61.00    
    Bonds paying 6.05%   on every £1000  interest would be £60.50     
    Bonds paying 6.00%   on every £1000  interest would be £60.00

So for people who only have small sums to invest the difference is negligible between 6.2% and 6% the difference is just £2 on every £1000 invested.  

• DavidAC
    DavidAC Posts: 309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thundyuk said:
    I just opened a Beehive 6.10% and just as a PSA there's a warning it'll be withdrawn soon on my account so don't wait. I missed the NS&I boat because I waited a day longer than I planned .:|
    The Beehive 1 year has been withdrawn and the moneysavingsexpert link to streambank 1 year fix now shows 5.9% instead of 6.1%. Didn't take long after the NS&I was withdrawn. Not looking good for future rates and they are still below inflation even before tax.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure