How to factor in additional income?

My partner works full time and has a regular annual salary. However, in addition to this, she is paid small amounts for radio and TV appearances, typically earning £500-1000 a month. 

I'm trying to calculate how much we could borrow as a couple, but none of the boxes seem relevant for her second income. It's not commission / bonus / overtime. I guess it's "guaranteed" in the sense that if she does the work, which she always does, she will get paid for it...

Anyway, I'm sure someone else has been in this position before so would appreciate any advice, thanks. 

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,615
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    It will vary from lender to lender if/how it is accepted. Are there guaranteed hours? Is it taxed under PAYE, or is a form of self-employment? A decent broker would be best-placed to help with this and will need these answers.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,624
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    It really depends on how it is paid. 

I am assuming this is a second job and she is self employed? ie she maybe invoices the tv/radio stations and they pay her? If that is the case then it would usually be an average on whatever is on the last 2 self assessments. 

I think as Kingstreet says, it would probably be worthwhile speaking to a broker. 
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback