Threats from late administrator's family

Hi I would like some guidance on this problem please.
I am close to taking on the administration of my late mother's estate which the late administrator failed to complete. His son has threatened me and my family because I told him that his father was remiss in dealing with the estate. The son has sent me vile and threatening voice mails and texts, I have blocked his number and contacted the police about this and have sent them the voicemails etc.., they are useful as a glass cricket bat!, They cannot trace him and beginning to effect my health and frightened to go to visit my mother's property in case he is there.
What are my rights regarding this individuals behavior when it comes to distributing my mother's estate.  

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,726
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I can't help but feel there's a lot of information missing from this one. Is there some sort of disagreement over the will? Is the son a beneficiary to the will in any way? What was the relationship of the late administrator to your mother?

While I can't condone the sons behaviour (admittedly with no idea what they've said) you do need to respect he's just lost his dad and you needed to tread gently with this. I'm not sure insulting his father was a good idea. Did you even need to inform him you're taking over the administration of the estate? Is there a reason you weren't administering the estate of your mother in the first place?

Ultimately the sons behaviour makes no difference to the distribution of the estate anyway. You administer within the law. You don't need to see the son to do this.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 9,971
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 6 October 2023 at 11:26AM
    Bhaje said:
    Hi I would like some guidance on this problem please.
    I am close to taking on the administration of my late mother's estate which the late administrator failed to complete. His son has threatened me and my family because I told him that his father was remiss in dealing with the estate. The son has sent me vile and threatening voice mails and texts, I have blocked his number and contacted the police about this and have sent them the voicemails etc.., they are useful as a glass cricket bat!, They cannot trace him and beginning to effect my health and frightened to go to visit my mother's property in case he is there.
    What are my rights regarding this individuals behavior when it comes to distributing my mother's estate.  

Thank you in advance.

You're talking about administrators rather than executors, so sounds as if your mother died intestate. Unclear why you didn't apply for letters of administration rather than a more distant relative? The son's behaviour is irrelevant to the outcome. You follow the rules of intestacy.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Bhaje
    Bhaje Posts: 22
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thanks for your comments.
    Briefly, my brother was the administrator since my mother's passing thirty years ago. Back then he partly dealt with the estate like bank accounts and minor things but not the property where he lived rent free for over twenty years. When asked twenty years ago, via a solicitor, to complete distribution of estate he stopped all communication with me. My brother died ten years ago and his children don't know/ deny if he left a will ( he was divorced) and are not willing to help at all with any information. My brother's son who is threatening me was never close to him and had fallen out with him several times. So I am trying to bring this to a conclusion  by taking over the administration and sell the property.
    The history of this is in my previous threads sometime ago.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,726
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Bhaje said:
    Thanks for your comments.
    Briefly, my brother was the administrator since my mother's passing thirty years ago. Back then he partly dealt with the estate like bank accounts and minor things but not the property where he lived rent free for over twenty years. When asked twenty years ago, via a solicitor, to complete distribution of estate he stopped all communication with me. My brother died ten years ago and his children don't know/ deny if he left a will ( he was divorced) and are not willing to help at all with any information. My brother's son who is threatening me was never close to him and had fallen out with him several times. So I am trying to bring this to a conclusion  by taking over the administration and sell the property.
    You can search for any potential probate records or a will for your brother online. There is a cost to this but it's a small amount, a few pounds from memory.

Any reason the son appears to be obstructing this? Has the house been sitting there empty for ten years or is someone occupying it? Have you been there recently?
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,460
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Assuming you are in England or Wales, I'd suggest you start by getting two or three documents:

1. Copy of mum's will or grant of probate from the Probate Registry. Since it cost £1.50, you might also want to search out whether your brother's estate has been administered or probate granted. If so, who is the adminstrator/executor?

2. A copy of the current deeds from the Land Registry, cost £3. In whose name is the house held? 

Once you have those, you may be able to fill in a few gaps.

The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 9,971
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Bhaje said:

It would have helped if you had given the link(s) - perhaps you'd like to do so now?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback