Issue with Insurance

newbieni
newbieni Posts: 59
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 5 October 2023 at 10:53PM in Insurance & life assurance
I usually deal through a broker and I have a number of policies with the same insurer through this broker and it's been like this for years and even with the same insurer.

I spoke to my broker recently regarding several policies that are up for renewal, the price is fine, similar to last year. My broker advised that there was an issue with an old policy of mine from a few years ago. I cancelled the policy as it related to a house I owned that I sold. The insurer deemed that the house was empty over the allowed timeframe of 30 days and opted to cancel the policy (after I had cancelled it due to the sale). I was never advised of this, the broker thinks a standard letter or possibly just an email was issued. It only came to light recently, the broker asked why I didn't advise the insurance company of this cancellation but surely if the insurance company cancelled the policy they'd be aware of it. The broker thinks that as the insurance company has provided numerous renewals the cancellation never took effect and to leave it. It's all very confusing, has anyone ever came across this before?

Comments

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,634
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You need to get to the bottom of this. If they did cancel the policy due to you breaking the rules of the policy then this has consequences. You then have to declare you have had a policy cancelled whenever you get insurance of any type (motor, home etc) if they ask the question.

Having to declare a policy has been cancelled can add a significant amount.

It is up to you to declare, not that they should know unfortunately.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback