Fixed quote now double!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The original figure for the work was 'about £1000' therefore was an estimate rather than a quote.  Even if it had been a fixed price the big mistake was requesting additional work without getting a costing for it.  As a customer the OP can only guess at how much work was involved.
    As others have already asked, how many additional hours has he worked?  Did he have to purchase any additional items to do the extra work?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 October 2023 at 7:47PM
    Options
    Re: the sink. 

I could expect my sink to sit in the middle of the run of units - that might not be in the middle of the unit.  We have fitted many kitchens where the sink isn't central to a unit, whether that be actually across two units or one one side of a larger unit with the drainer actually hanging over another unit.  

It's what a drawn plan is for.  

When you buy something separately and pay someone to fit it for you, you take on the role of project manager and it is your job to communicate.  One outcome is that you can save money if you get it right, but if you make a mistake you end up footing the bill.   If it is a supply and fit contract, the supplier is responsible for everything.  

You think it's obvious where the sink goes, he probably thinks it's obvious for clients to remember they bought a washing machine and fridge that need fitting.   

I'm pretty surprised that a carpenter would take on a job finishing a DIY project.  Most professionals wouldn't trust an amateur to fit a kitchen properly and I could fully imagine my guys redoing at least part of the job.  

I think it's a matter of negotiation.  Thankfully you have a finished kitchen, and hold the purse strings.  

Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback