VPN for firestick on holiday

J_B
J_B Posts: 6,376
Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
Heading away at the end of the month.
Taking my firestick to maybe watch some UK TV, so, looking for a good value VPN.
I've used Winscribe (free) in the past but soon used it's free allowance.

Comments

• Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 818
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Put your hand in your pocket and pay for Windscribe !
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,119
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Use ExpressVPN, not the cheapest but never had any problems with geolocation or bypassing other ISP/Router type filters
  • tallmansix
    tallmansix Posts: 1,895
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Save your money and set up a VPN server at home, never understand why people pay for VPN services for travelling abroad when you can run one at home for free and most likely get better results because your endpoint won't be an abused IP address that thousands of other people are using.
    YNAB enthusiast and extreme coupon-er.
    Discounts, coupons and cashback:
    2019 = £1,443.52
    2020 = £1,191,76
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,119
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Save your money and set up a VPN server at home, never understand why people pay for VPN services for travelling abroad when you can run one at home for free and most likely get better results because your endpoint won't be an abused IP address that thousands of other people are using.
    As your home server limits you to appearing in the UK and so doesn't help you access US content whilst outside both the US and UK. 

Dont know about others but I spend most my time in the UK and therefore for geolocation services VPN is used much more commonly for appearing to be outside the UK which again home server doesn't help. 

It also requires a computer to be running all the time, will be dependent on your upload streaming speed and certainly many ISPs used to exclude you running server software in their T&Cs (no idea if that's still the case)

• It also requires a computer to be running all the time, will be dependent on your upload streaming speed and certainly many ISPs used to exclude you running server software in their T&Cs (no idea if that's still the case)
    An ISP that blocks incoming ports on your connection fails in a fundamental of being an ISP - moving packets.  Wouldn't touch any like that with your bargepole, they're bound to be rubbish, even if the headline price is cheap.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback